New Class Offers a Different Way to Learn

For incoming freshmen, options for classes are fairly wide open compared to those they were used to in the middle school realm. In the 2014-2015 school year, a new class will be available for those taking the freshman math class Algebra 1.

STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) will be a class incorporating engineering, physics and Algebra 1 principles. The class will meet for two mods a day, five days a week and students will receive 12 credits, including those for Algebra 1, physics, and engineering. But the class is not anything like other classes already being held at the high school; the class will be co-taught by physics instructor Judy Stucky, math instructor Leah Terry and engineering instructor Tyler Foster and in class work will be group and project oriented.

“One of the big things we’re hoping that people who don’t like math, don’t like sitting in the desk, don’t like doing math problems and going, ‘Why in the world am I ever going to use this,’ they’re going to see immediately how and why to use the math,” Stucky said. “The original purpose behind the class was to take those kids who might have potential in these areas but not reaching it because they don’t learn well in the traditional math course.”

This change in curriculum will be the first time Westside has integrated multiple classes into one. The idea received a large push from Terry, who has been incorporating hands-on activities in her basic geometry class in the past few years.

“I find it’s easier to understand content when I get to actually manipulate objects,” Terry said. “I have never learned well by just taking notes, so I try to keep my class as interactive as possible.”

The hands-on engineering activities STEM will incorporate will be projects such as developing a mag levitation system when talking about electricity or building cars out of kits which will hold an egg while giving restrictions on how far the car can go without allowing the egg to break.

In the future Westside would like to develop a four-year track for those who were in the class as a freshman, as well. In other words, the students would be enrolled in a double-mod course every year throughout high school.

“Sophomore year we’d like there to be a class where [their] geometry and engineering linked,” Stucky said. “There isn’t as close of a tie to one science class but we’d like it to be integrated with math and science and engineering hopefully.”

This link between several subjects in the high school is an idea which is hoped to be explored more throughout the high school in upcoming years, but for now, it remains a brand new course coming to Westside in the 2014-2015 school year.