SWIMMING RECAP: Feb. 6 through Feb. 13

Clair Selby

Sophomore Elizabeth Amato-Hanner swims back stroke. She made it to state her freshman year and is looking to qualify again this year. Photo by Emma Reilly

As the Westside swim team gears up for its end of the year meets, Metros and state, it competed in a dual against Ralston/Gross Catholic Feb. 10, 2014 at Westside. At the meet, both the boys and girls came out with a win. On the girls side, the day was highlighted by first place victories in 11 out of 12 events, earning the team a 64-point spread in their 125-61 win. For the boys, Westside stole first place in six of the 12 events, but had the points edge in the 104-81 victory. With this being the last meet before the Metropolitan Conference Championships, swim coach Nick Joslin is left feeling confident about the team’s upcoming task.

“I think we’re going to do well in all the events, really,” Joslin said. “I don’t know that much about diving but it seems like they are always doing pretty well.”

The Metropolitan Conference Championships takes place on Feb. 13-15, 2014. Diving will be Thursday, Feb 13, swimming preliminaries will be Friday, Feb. 14, and swimming finals will be Saturday, Feb. 15. All events will take place at Millard West High School.

With Metros right around the corner, the state meet will also be held in two weeks on Mar. 1, 2014 in Lincoln.

“We are training for Metros but at the same time we are training for two weeks for now at state,” Joslin said. “Although, I do think we will be swimming fast and we are going to win [Metro], I think there will be more to show two weeks from now.”

Come support the Warrior swimmers this week, Feb. 13-15 at Millard West, or follow @westsidewired on twitter for live updates and results.