Swimming Recap Jan. 16 through Jan. 22

Clair Selby

Sophomore Elizabeth Amato-Hanner swims back stroke. She made it to state her freshman year and is looking to qualify again this year. Photo by Emma Reilly

Tuesday, Jan. 21 the Westside swim team had another match-up, this time with Papillion La-Vista. Once again the girls came out on top while the boys fell just short of their third win of the season.

In the dual, the girls won with a score of 94 to 91, handing the Papillion La-Vista girls squad its first loss of the season. During the meet, the girls took first place in eight of the 12 events. The boys took an 18-point loss with a score of 99 to 81. Unfortunately they were only able to capture first in two of the 12 events, giving the points edge to Papillion La-Vista.

Each team has a chance for a win today, Jan. 23 at 4:30 at Westside against the Burke Bulldogs. This season Burke is coming into the dual with a girls record of 5-2 and a boys record of 5-2, as well. Also, this weekend, Jan. 24 and 25, the swimmers and divers are headed to Scottsbluff for the Twin Cities Invitational. This meet includes schools from around the state.

Check back with Westside Wired for next weeks swimming recap, including results from the dual with Burke, the Twin Cities Invitational and the Ralston Diving Invitational. We will be live streaming and tweeting the team’s dual against Burke.