GPA Requirement: OPS passes 2.0 GPA rule

Senior+Jalen+Cox-Martin+studying+in+the+social+studies+IMC.+Cox-Martin+was+part+of+the+state+runner-up+football+team+this+season.+

Senior Jalen Cox-Martin studying in the social studies IMC. Cox-Martin was part of the state runner-up football team this season.

Monday, Dec. 3 the OPS school board voted 8-0 to pass a 2.0 minimum GPA rule for student-athletes. The law is to be gradually phased in until it is fully implemented for the freshman class of 2018.

For Westside student-athletes, the minimum requirement is that of the NSAA (students must pass four classes each semester). According to Westside High School Athletic Director Tom Kerkman, there is no plan for the rule to change.

“To be quite honest, we haven’t really had an issue with that,” Kerkman said. “I would say probably 98-99% of our students, maybe even 100%, each semester pass that guideline.”

Along with meeting NSAA requirements, Westside varsity sports teams have shown overall excellence in the classroom. Last year, 44% of varsity athletes had a 3.5 GPA or better. Nine out of 11 varsity boys teams averaged GPAs better than 3.1, with the other two teams averaging 2.9 and 2.7. All of the girls teams averaged a 3.0 or better.

“Looking at our numbers, I just don’t think there’s a need to have a 2.0 [minimum requirement] when you look at over half of our sports team GPAs are 3.5 or better,” Kerkman said. “That shows that our coaches stress academics, kids work hard in the classroom and we’re successful on the field and on the court. We do a pretty good job of mixing academics and athletics here.”

Kerkman said there would need to be a dip in athletes not meeting requirements before Westside would consider implementing a minimum GPA requirement.

“Since I’ve been athletic director, I’ve never had one kid not make the NSAA requirements to get into college,” Kerkman said. “If I started to see we had a lot of athletes starting to not make it, maybe we would [set a minimum GPA requirement]. More or less, we would do things more to help that individual instead of making a school policy.”

Westside varsity wrestling head coach Michael Jernigan is glad he doesn’t have to manage the 2.0 rule.

“I think it’s going to be pretty tough,” Jernigan said. “I hope students are able to see this and hope they don’t fall into those situations.”

Even with current rules, there are still some possible difficulties, but Jernigan thinks Westside coaches do a good job with academics already.

“We try our best to help the kids manage the grades and their academics throughout the season,” Jernigan said. “And it’s very tough in winter sports because winter sports are cut by the first semester going into second semester. You could have athletes that are ineligible or do poorly enough in the first semester it makes them ineligible for the second which is tough because that’s when our state tournament is.”

Even though Jernigan is glad Westside doesn’t have a 2.0 GPA requirement, he said most wrestlers would pass the 2.0 requirement with the help of Westside teachers.

“I don’t think it would [affect the wrestling team],” Jernigan said. “If it did it would be a rare one or two. Teachers are really supportive of them and understanding that they are competing in different athletics.”