Vint Cerf Visits Westside

Introduced as the father of the internet, Vint Cerf visited Westside on Monday, Oct. 14. Cerf helped create IP addresses, a crucial component of the internet, and helped work to create the first commercial email system.

Students from Computer Science, Web Design, Entrepreneurship and Media Convergence classes were invited to hear Cerf speak. Cerf, currently the vice president and chief internet evangelist for Google, discussed many of the inventions that Google is in the processes of creating including Google Glass, glasses programed to help people with daily tasks, and a self-driving car.

Cerf, a former Standford University professor, sees the benefit of traveling to talk to students.

“I want to make students as excited as I still am about computing, networking and technology and it’s potential,” Cerf said. “I understand how important science and technology are for our daily lives and that they can contribute.”

Senior Riley Sullivan, who attended the lecture, walked away with a new understanding on the importance of technology.

“If you sit back and think about all the ways our lives are influenced daily by technology it’s pretty astounding,” Sullivan said. “I learned that if I’m amazed by technology now I’m probably going to be shocked ten years from now when it all multiplies.”