Freshman Shares Experience in Omaha Fashion Week

Dreaming of being a model may seem unrealistic, but that dream came true for freshman Ashlynn Nieuwenhuis, who began last summer after applying for a competitive model preparation company.

“Last summer, I wanted to start modeling so I put up a form on the Develop Model Management website,” Nieuwenhuis said. “I uploaded pictures and I got contacted, which was a surprise because I didn’t think they would take my submission. They signed me and I did do [Omaha Fashion Week] last year in August which was also very fun.”

After being contracted with the prestigious Develop Model Management company, Nieuwenhuis said she was happy that someone thought she was beautiful enough to make a positive impact on people’s lives.

“It makes you feel pretty happy because you feel pretty,” Nieuwenhuis said. “It sounds really dumb but it makes you feel good. Also I’m not in it just for the fame, I want to make people happy. I feel like [modeling] is a great way to make people happy. I can have the experience of meeting new people and make them smile.”

Omaha Fashion Week ran on Feb. 27 thru March 3 this year. Nieuwenhuis said that it isn’t uncommon to be in Omaha Fashion Week, but it’s easier to be involved when one is part of her program, Develop Model Management.

“I know one other girl who goes to Westside that participated but I have a lot of other friends from other schools who were in it,” Nieuwenhuis said. “It’s easier if you’re in Develop Model to get into fashion week than not.”

Models have a certain stereotype of being so focused on their weight and their look. Nieuwenhuis said she think the generalization does affect some models, but it doesn’t impact her personally.

“I’m pretty confident in myself and I don’t think that I should be overweight or underweight or like at a certain point for my height,” Nieuwenhuis said. “I feel that it’s very judgemental for girls to be told that they have to be a certain weight to be a model. I don’t check my weight because I don’t care, I’m pretty as I am. I think [the stereotype] does affect a lot of people, but it does not affect me.”

Nieuwenhuis doesn’t know what is next for her career but hopes as she gets older that will only open more opportunities for her.

“I’m fairly new so I am still in [the] developing stage,” Nieuwenhuis said. “Usually when you’re 17 or 18 they move you on to bigger stuff. I have certain classes I have to take and I haven’t finished all of mine because I have been busy with school.”

Nieuwenhuis said she was extremely happy for the opportunity to participate in Omaha Fashion Week. She said she wants others to know that being a model doesn’t mean you have to look amazing, but confidence is the key.

“It’s an experience, like once in a lifetime,” Nieuwenhuis said. “Anyone can do it, you don’t have to be a certain weight or have a certain look. As long as you’re confident in yourself, just go for it.”

Photo courtesy to Hooton Images