Husker recuit leads golf team

A history of success runs deep in the Westside golf program. Coming off a state championship win, they have a solid returning team. The frontrunner of this squad is future Nebraska Cornhusker Jackson Benge. Benge played phenomenally, shooting a 70 and a 72 for a combined score of 142. This year Benge hopes to continue improving and helping his team along with the assistance of his Coach Jered Hellman.

Coach Hellman has nothing but praise about Jackson’s time at Westside, and he should have no reason not to. Benge has been nothing short of a necessity on the team during his time as Westside.

“Jackson is coming into this season playing the best golf I have ever seen him playing,” said Hellman. “Since Jackson entered our program during his sophomore year, his goal was to obtain a Division 1 scholarship, lead the team to a state title, rack up as many tournament wins as possible, and lead the state in differential.  Jackson has accomplished these goals and will enter this season as the highest-rated returning golfer in Nebraska. This is a testament to his dedication to his craft, passion, and unwavering determination to be dominant.”

The ones around him the most are his teammates and they have similar praise. Junior Trevor Gutschewski has been playing with Jackson now for two years and has seen first hand the type of person he is.

“There is a certain type of guy that it takes to make a leader and I think Jackson is that guy,” Gutschewski said. “He does a great job of making sure everyone is having a good time and makes the team a really inviting place. He is a great friend and always puts the team above anything else in everything he does.”

After losing senior Porter Topp in the offseason, Benge hopes he can take the reins this year. The captain anticipates moving on to this season and how he can help his younger teammates grow and improve.

“I am looking to improve mostly on being a leader,” Benge said. “We have a young group of guys and just showing them how everything works and creating good relationships with the whole group will be crucial for our team’s success.”

Last season was the most successful in the program’s history. Trying to separate this one from the last will be tough, but Benge believes him and his team are up for the challenge.

“Obviously it will be tough given last year was the best year in our programs history,” Benge said. “But, everyone has high expectations and just holding everyone accountable to those it won’t be hard to be just as good or even better than last year.”

Benge has come a long way from his first year at Westside. Along with the help of the team and the coaching staff, Jackson believes he is ready to play at the next level.

“My journey in golf has been really fun,” Benge said. “I’ve had so many great experiences throughout it and so many different places. I’ve also met so many amazing people that have helped and guided me to where I am today.”

Coach Hellman has obviously worked exclusively with Jackson over the past few years. He has witnessed Jacksons development and what has brought him to the point he is at right now.

​​Jackon and I have an excellent relationship” Hellman said. “A very open communication line. I know what Jackson is working on with this swing coach (Ryan Vermeer), and I have watched Jackson hit thousands of golf shots, I have been with him during the times his game isn’t where he wants it, I know his body language, and when he is wearing the frustration, I am a consistent presence for Jackson on the Golf course. Jackson trusts me and knows it takes a team to reach greatness. Jackson is a generational type of talent that has given me more than I could ever obtain from him. I am hands down a better golf coach and human because of Jackson Benge.”

Hellman added that he believes the Huskers are getting a bargain with Jackson and he has strong hopes for what Benge will be able to do on the college circuit.

​​”The Huskers aren’t just getting an outstanding golfer,” Hellman said. “They are getting one of the best to walk the fairways in  Nebraska’s high school golf history.”