Brawling in Bulgaria

Freshman wrestles in Bulgarian competition
CeCe Gerard
Hall works closely with coach Georgi Ivanov both in America and when they travel abroad.

At 15-years-old, Westside freshman Charlie Hall has wrestled in Bulgaria. 

Hall traveled with his coaches, who are both originally from Bulgaria, to compete in an annual competition with eight other countries.

“It was a cultural experience,” Hall said. “It was very different.”

In addition to meeting new friends, Hall gained experience wrestling in both Greco and freestyle forms.

In Greco-Roman wrestling, the legs may not be used in any way to obtain a fall, and no holds may be taken below the waist. Unlike other styles, freestyle wrestlers are allowed to use their legs for offense or defense during a bout.The objective of the sport is to pin down the opponent’s shoulders onto the mat.

“I don’t know if I necessarily enjoyed it as much as I do here,” Hall said. “I’m not the best at freestyle or Greco but I enjoyed it for the most part.”

One of the main differences between wrestling in America and in Bulgaria are the rules, which took Hall some getting used to.

“If you lose two matches [in Bulgaria], you’re out,” Hall said. “In big tournaments, if you lose one match you’re out.”

Hall further explained that if the opponent who beat the wrestler makes it to the finals, the beaten wrestler is still in the tournament. He also elaborated that matches are set up by age and weight classes, he did not win his matches.

“I lost my first match,” Hall said. “Actually, I had a super tough opponent and he got beat out. It was a super tough tournament.

Even though he didn’t win at this year’s tournament, Hall is looking forward to next year. 

“There’s always next time,” Hall said. “I will be there next year, too.”

While the tournament takes place in Bulgaria every year, it is hosted in a different area of the nation from year to year which means Hall has the opportunity to see other parts of the country.

“We explored a lot while we were there,” Hall said.”We went to their mall [and] to some gyms.”

Hall is very familiar with gyms, as he’s been wrestling since he was 5-year-old.

“I just fell in love with it from the start,” Hall said. “I’ve always been a super competitive kid, so it was never hard.”

He explained that, like everyone else, he has his ups and downs and there are years he does not win.

“I can’t give up on it because I love it so much,” Hall said. “I just can’t let go of it.”

This dedication took him all the way to the state competition last year in addition to other tournaments.

“I’ve won several tournaments this year,” Hall said. “I fell short at state, but I’m here now and where it counts at high school.”

Hall has confidence in and optimism for his chances of placing at the state championship this year. He  is inspired by Ivan del Civ and Georgi Ivanov.

“Those are my two coaches. They’re super successful,” Hall said.

Both coaches hail from Bulgaria and each wrestled in the Olympics. Hall has the opportunity to travel to Bulgaria since his coaches are from there.

Hall is eagerly looking forward to his first high school wrestling season as he considers his wrestling future.

“This is where colleges start looking at you,” Hall said. “So I’m ready for whatever comes my way.”