9 seniors commit on national signing day

November 17, 2022

Nine senior athletes signed with their prospective colleges on Wednesday, Nov. 9 in the Little Theater.

Nate Germonprez

Westside swimmer Nate Germonprez signed with the University of Texas at Austin along with his fellow classmates on Wednesday,  Nov. 9.

Germonprez chose Texas to follow and pursue his swimming career after graduation.  The Warrior senior explains why being a Longhorn is important to him. 

I chose Texas because it’s not only the winningest college swim program but the atmosphere was better than any other school I looked at,” Germonprez said. “I got along with the team and the coaches without any problem and I got the gut feeling that it was the right place for me.”

Germonprez  has swam beside many of the greats as he has had numerous achievements over his high school career. Breaking the state’s  200 freestyle record, being content at the Olympic Swim Trials, as well as making the USA Junior National Team earlier this year. 

Westside’s head swim coach Andy Rider expresses how Nate is going to thrive as a LongHorn.

“Nate is a great athlete, but also a great student,” Rider said. “I think Nate is going to be successful in and out of the pool at Texas. He is going to make an immediate impact for their team, but he will also accelerate in the classroom.” 

Germonprez continues to look for improvement as the Westside swim season approaches, he also looks forward in the future on how to better himself for college.  

“I look to improve at Texas by contributing towards the team,” Germonprez said. “I don’t just want to become a better swimmer and person myself, but I want to bring everyone around me up to be the best they can be as well.”

Continue to watch Germonprez as he swims with Westside for his final season before heading off to Texas. 

by: Grace Vandercoy

Destiny Ndam-Simpson

Senior outside hitter Destiny Ndam-Simpson made it official on Wednesday, Nov. 9  when she signed to Creighton University. Ndam- Simpson was a member of the 2022 All-State tournament. She led the Warriors to a 30-9 record and their first championship berth since 1985. 

“I’ve been close with the Creighton program for a long time,” Ndam-Simpson said. “I’ve talked to the coaches for a while.”

Ndam-Simpson committed to the hometown Jays on February 13, 2021. She had been committed to the University of Hawaii Rainbow Warriors since Summer 2020 before flipping to Creighton. 

“I’m very excited to pursue a competitive schedule in the Big East,” Ndam-Simpson said. “The education also played a factor.”

by: Jordan Nogg

Samantha Laird

Volleyball senior Samantha  Laird has officially signed with South Dakota volleyball. Laird signed after an impressive senior season ending as the runner-up in the state tournament and a record of 30-9. The outside hitter was also named to the All-State tournament team by the Omaha World-Herald. Laird is excited to join the Coyotes.

“It’s close to home and I really like the coaching staff,” Laird said. “They’ve been really successful over the years. They went to the NCAA tournament last year and the year before that. I want to go into a successful program.”

Westside’s culture has taught Laird the many important lessons that she will take to the next level. The mental aspect of the game is big in high school, and bigger in college, so Westside’s emphasis on culture will be important for Laird’s growth as a player at the next level.

“The leadership qualities I’ve learned here, I’ll take there. The mental aspect is a lot going to play in college. It was a lot here, so I’ll learn to take that up with me.”

by: Benjamin Kaufman

Michael Zimmerman

Senior catcher Michael Zimmerman has announced his commitment to the University of Sioux Falls. 

“I believe Sioux Falls was the best option for me because of the great relationship between Coach Hieb and Coach Hirrschoff that I have built over the summer and fall,” Zimmerman says. “I believe they will help develop me into a great player. They have done amazing things in their program in the last 3 years. They’re growing more and more each year and I wanted to be a part of it and play under them. As well as the beautiful campus and facilities they have to offer. From their field to their weight room. I believe they will be conference title contenders in coming years.”

Dreams have become reality for Zimmerman but his goals don’t stop there.

“It means a lot to me to be able to play baseball at the next level,” Zimmerman says. “It’s something I’ve always dreamed about as a kid. I have so much passion and love for this sport, I put a lot of time and dedication into this sport and to see it finally pay off is amazing, but it doesn’t stop now the real work begins now heading onto campus next fall fighting for a spot.”

Keeping standards high has paid off for Zimmerman for his commitment. 

“I set a lot of goals for myself and hold myself to a high standard so I expect a lot out of myself heading up there,” Zimmerman says. “I’m gonna work as hard as I can to earn my spot and it fires me up. Competition is something I love and Sioux Falls is in a really competitive conference so I’m excited. I expect a big 4 years.”

Westside head coach Otis Seals has noticed Zimmerman’s work, and what it has taken to get to the next level.

“Michael has been working diligently on his baseball skills since last season,” Seals says.  “Michael is constantly working on all facets of the game that are important to him as a position player and a hitter.  Michael regularly works on his catching skills and arm strength.  He is also participating in organized lifting with the team and our hitting leagues this fall and winter.  It’s the work that prepares him and our team for the season.”  

Hard work and putting in the extra leaves Zimmerman with lots of opportunities.

“Each level you move up in any sport presents new challenges and new battles for playing time,” Seals says. “Michael is going to meet those challenges through hard work and determination.”

Zimmerman will be stepping into a leadership role this season with being an older player. 

“Michael has been through one season of varsity baseball and one off season at this point,” Seals says.  “One of the things that we do is meet together and discuss leadership items and determine core values for our team for that upcoming season.  As someone who has participated in those talks before, I am expecting an increase in leadership from Michael.”

by: Carter Jankovich

Kensington TeKrony

Volleyball player Kensington TeKrony has been committed to Dartmouth College for over a year.  TeKrony made it official, when she signed with the “Big Green” on Wednesday, Nov. 9. 

“Dartmouth’s emphasis on education made it really easy to go there,” TeKrony said. “Eventually sports end, and they’re preparation for when that happens is unlike any other school I visited.”

TeKrony was injured for most of her senior season. Then she returned for the state tournament and helped the Warriors to a runner-up finish. Dreams have become a reality for TeKrony on the volleyball court.

“It means so much to me to be able to go to such a great college, and play the sport I love,” TeKrony said. “A lot of people don’t get the opportunity to play at such a high level, or even play in college in general.

TeKrony helped the Warriors to their first state championship appearance since 1985 with a 30-9 record. Westside volleyball head coach Korrine Bowers knows what Tekrony is doing to get to the next level. 

“Kensington is a very intelligent young woman, therefore she is a student of the game,” Bowers says. “She does a great job of scouting her opponents and preparing for them, knows where she can beat them, and knows how to defend them, in order to respect her opponent every match.”

Dartmouth College is a prestigious Ivy League school in Hanover, New Hampshire. There are several opportunities for TeKrony on and off the court. 

“Kensington is very fortunate that she gets the best of both worlds,” Bowers said. “She gets to play volleyball and attend an Ivy League school. She has set herself up for success after college, in the real world and gets to enjoy playing the sport she loves. Kensington will do great things at Dartmouth, she is an exceptional athlete and with her high school and club experience she will be able to compete and excel at the next level.”

TeKrony has just finished a stellar career with the Warriors, but volleyball was not her first sport so she still has a ton of potential. 

“Kensington did not have a lot of volleyball experience when she came to Westside,” Bowers says. “She was more of a Junior Olympic track high jump athlete. She ended up falling in love with the sport of volleyball so once she started putting all of her time into training and competing, she got better and better every year. She will continue to keep getting better because, like I said earlier, she started later, so she still has a lot of room for growth. She is going to do some amazing things at Dartmouth and I couldn’t be more proud of her.”

The Dartmouth volleyball team is among the leaders in the Ivy League. The Big Green is currently in third place with a 8-4 record and an overall record of 16-6.. Big changes are on the way, but TeKrony is excited for the challenge. 

“I expect kind of a new start,” Tekrony says. “I’ll be playing the same position but with new teammates, and new coaches, in a new city, so I’m excited and looking forward to my next four years.”

by: Carter Jankovich

Delani Daubman

Senior Delani Daubman committed and has officially signed to the University of Sioux Falls. Daubman spoke about why she chose to go to the University of Sioux Falls. 

“The main reason why I chose it was because they let me play soccer while also pursuing a degree in nursing,” Daubman said, “Most colleges won’t allow you to do that”

Daubman also expressed what her overall goals are in the coming years.

“I just hope to make a lot of friends and just become a better person than I was going in, and the end goal is to get my understudy degree” Daubman said.

Head girls soccer coach Chris Dunford spoke about his thoughts regarding Daubman’s commitment. 

“Delani is one of he best keepers in the state,” Dunford said, “I’m delighted she’s getting to showcase her talent at the college level.”

Dunford also spoke about how Daubman has developed since her first year as a freshman. 

“She’s developed as a leader in training through her sophomore and junior years and that was highlighted by being voted as a captain in her junior year,” Dunford said. “She is incredibly hard working and has a drive to want to win no matter what”.

Daubman will get to compete in her final high school season this year in the 2022-2023 girls soccer season this spring. 

by: Amir Rasulov

Mia Tatten

Westside’s Mia Tatten, a senior member of the soccer team will be continuing her academic and athletic career at Drury University. 

“I chose Drury because of the strong academics,” Tatten said. “I really loved the coaching staff as well.”

The outside back had a great deal of success not only on the field, but also in the classroom, obtaining a 4.06 grade point average. Looking to continue playing soccer in college, Tatten knew Drury was the place she wanted to be.

“When I went to visit Drury it felt like home,” Tatten said. 

Her career at Westside was a good one, and she’ll definitely remember her time as a Warrior.

“What I’ll miss about Westside is the coaches, teammates, practices, and team bonding,” Tatten said. “I’m grateful for my time here.”

by: Noah Atlas

Tate Odvody

Basketball star Tate Odvody was one of these athletes to officially commit to a university. Since transferring to Westside his sophomore year, Odvody has been a key player for the team. He helped lead the squad back to a state playoff appearance and tied a school record with 24 wins. Last season he amassed some exceptional statistics. Odvody averaged 15 points and four rebounds a game. These stats caught the eye of Colorado Christian University, and they extended a scholarship offer to Odvody, to which he accepted.

“I feel like It gave me the best opportunity to grow as a person and basketball player,” Odvody said. 

The Colorado Christian Cougars are coming off of a lackluster year, where they finished 5-17 in conference play and 8-20 overall. A main focus for their recruiting class was scoring, and Tate was a perfect pickup for the program. 

Odvody looks to make the Warriors and Cougars proud this upcoming season as he wraps up his high school career.

by: Abdullah Rustamov

Porter Topp

Topp signed with UNO. To read more: https://westsidewired.net/53412/sports/westside-golfer-headed-to-uno/