Westside golfer headed to UNO

November 1, 2022

Senior Porter Topp is one of the best players on the Westside golf team. Topp announced his commitment to the University of Nebraska-Omaha and will be signing on Wednesday, Nov. 9. 

“It means a lot to me to be able to play golf not only at a Division one level but to be able to do it in my home city and a college that’s close to me and my family,” Topp said.  “UNO isn’t just a good place for me to expand my golf career, but it’s also a good school that can help me achieve my academic goals, and that played a big part for me.”

Topp capped off his junior season with a fourth place finish in the State Championship at the Norfolk Country Club. Topp shot a 74 in the final round and ended up at 4-over-par. He helped the Warriors finish as the state runner-up. A big part of his commitment to UNO was the location, and staying in his hometown.

“What sold me on going to UNO was the ability to stay near my family and friends while also being able to play golf at the college level and still get a very good education while doing it,” Topp said.

Topp had a stellar junior golf career. He won the 2020 Boys 14-15 year-old Nebraska Player of the Year honors. The UNO scholarship is just one step closer to Topp’s goal of playing professional golf. 

“It means a lot to me to be able to play golf not just in D1, but just in college,” Topp said. “It’s been my dream to play professionally and college is just one step closer to doing that for me. Golf has given me lots of great life lessons, friends, and experiences that I wouldn’t have gotten if I did something else and to play in college it will give me more of all of those things. I also love to compete and being able to play division one golf is great competition and will allow me to continue to compete in my favorite sport.”

Topp has continued to improve on the Westside golf team. He finished second at the District Championship, when he shot a round of 71. Topp’s golf journey started at a young age and  Westside head Coach Jered Hellman is helping him reach his goals. 

“Porter found a passion for the game of golf at a very young age,” Hellman said. “He was immersed in golf from family members who recognized his passion and gave him the tools to grow.  Porter has always played with older golfers whether it’s on our team, or playing with Members at his club that are older and more experienced.  Porter has also had a coach since he was in upper elementary school named Jon Peterson. Jon is a decorated golfer and phenomenal coach, Jon is not only Porter’s Swing coach, Coach is a mentor to Porter and critical piece to Porter’s success. Coach Peterson and I communicate regularly, so we can best help Porter reach all of his goals.”

Porter’s game has continued growing through his four years at Westside and it’s being noticed. 

“I expect big things from Porter at UNO,” Hellman said. “He is going to a great program that has been interested in him for a couple of years.  Porter will continue his relentless work ethic and drive to become the best golfer he can.  I have seen incredible growth in Porter the last four years, and cannot wait to see what he accomplishes at the next level.”

After finishing as state runner-up, Topp will be stepping into a leadership role on the Westside team and will be looking for revenge this upcoming golf season.

“Porter will be our only senior on a very talented golf team this year,” Hellman says.  “Porter and I walked the 18th hole of the State tournament last year side by side. We thought we needed a par to tie for a playoff and a shot at our first State Title since 1989. Porter’s 25-foot birdie putt came up one roll short.  I had to tell him we lost the State Championship by one stroke. I am confident that Porter will be a leader this year, and lead us back to the State tournament, where anything can happen.”

Topp will join several Westside athletes for the signing day ceremony in the school’s Little Theatre at 7:30 a.m.on Wednesday, Nov. 9.