Cycling success keeps rolling

Westside High School’s cycling team has had much success so far this year. With more members than ever before, the whole team anticipates every win.

Several students have won many rewards this year for their competitive participation in cycling. All of them have much to thank from their coaches.

Nathan Moseley is an English teacher who enjoys bike riding enough to start a team with math teacher Nick Joslin.

“Many students are excited and want to participate and ride,” Moseley said.

“Each race has a different number of laps for students who participate.”

There are five racing events each year among different high schools. Some of the strongest competitors include Millard West and Omaha North.

Moseley encourages more students to join and confront these high schools with the best.

“I definitely hope for more involvement. More participation means more fun for the students and more wins for Westside.”

Many underclassmen are participating in cycling this season. Among them are relatively new rookies and cycling veterans.

“We ride the course a few times before the race begins, to understand it better,” Elise Choquette said, a freshman cyclist for six years.

“Even though there are mostly underclassmen, many juniors and seniors still participate and come often to the practices.”

Sophomore Allan Feldman is new to competitive cycling but has enjoyed it despite its difficulties.

“I crashed twice during a Fremont event at Calvin Crest,” Feldman said.

“It was cold and wet. There was also a big hill where you would slide if you’re not careful.”

Feldman’s father is a firefighter, but has found time to help repair bicycles for the team.

Students wanting to join the cycling team need to contact Moseley or Joslin by email, or seeing them in person. There is always room and anyone who enjoys bike riding can participate in the races.

“We get a lot better with practice and it always pays off in the end,” Moseley said.

“All of the kids love it.”

Students can find Moseley in the English IMC and Joslin in the Math IMC. With fall just starting, it is the perfect weather to join the cycling team and be compete.