Q&A with Governor of Nebraska and Westside alum Pete Ricketts

Throwback Thursday: Pete Ricketts in the 1982, his senior year, Shield. Courtesy of the 1982 Shield

Thursday, Jan. 8, Westside Wired reported on Westside alums Brad Ashford and Pete Ricketts being sworn in as a Nebraska’s Second Congressional District House Representative and Governor of Nebraska, respectively. Today, we bring you a short question and answer session* with the governor, who graduated from Westside in 1982.

Westside Wired: How do you think Westside either prepared you, if it did, for politics or got you interested in politics, if it did? What do you think it says about the quality of Westside that Nebraska now has two of its six (arguably) most important elected positions filled by Westside grads?

Governor Ricketts: Westside has done an outstanding job at preparing students to become leaders in our community and across Nebraska. As a student, Westside gave me a chance to start developing my skills in the classroom and through its clubs. The quality education that successive generations of District 66 students have received has made the district a standard for academic excellence in the metro Omaha area and nationally.

WW: Did being a Westside grad help you on the campaign trail in the Westside area?

GR: The Westside alumni network was a source of great support throughout the campaign. It was always great to see so many friendly Westside area faces at campaign events.

WW: As governor, what will you do to help Westside students and other young Nebraskans?

GR: As governor, I will work to keep Nebraska a great place to live, work, and raise a family. For my administration, that means creating jobs, expanding career and vocational opportunities in the trades, and strengthening our rural economy. Our ag-based economy is so important to our entire state. Even in urban Omaha, agriculture supports thousands of jobs.

WW: What advice would you give high school students who want to be civil servants like yourself?

GR: Get involved. Pick a cause you care about – whether it’s an issue or a candidate – and give your time. Before I ever ran for office, I involved myself in politics because of a ballot initiative that would have expanded gambling here in Nebraska. Thanks to the hard work and volunteer efforts of many, we worked together to defeat that initiative. 

WW: What would you say to Westside students, whether Republican, Democrat, or independent, about the importance of being politically active and voting once they hit the legal voting age?

GR: Voting and participating in the political process are critical aspects of good citizenship. These are two ways you can individually influence the future of our state and our country. Your participation makes an even bigger difference in a state the size of Nebraska, and ensures that leaders stay accountable. Politics is run by those who show up. There’s a great quote that is attributed to the Greek statesman Pericles: “Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn’t mean politics won’t take an interest in you.”

WW: I’m sure you are well aware of the rivalry between Westside and Creighton Prep (where Ricketts’s son, Roscoe, attends). How do you defend your choice to not send your children to Westside (Ricketts has two children in high school including Roscoe)?

GR: Let’s just say Roscoe has a mind of his own. We won’t hold it against him.

*The interview with Governor Ricketts was done via email.