CLASS SIGN-UP: Westside Wired gives you seven class ideas

Have you ever liked anything you’ve read on Westside Wired, in the Lance, in Craze or in Shield? Have you ever liked a WTV video?

I’ll take a bet that you’ve answered yes because, well, you’re reading this! Now, how about this: why not be the person writing that story, taking that picture, filming that video or live-tweeting a game?

The answer to that question is in the question: why not?

As a senior, as cheesy as this will sound, the high school experience I am most thankful for is my time in journalism. In journalism classes, you get to create your own work and publish it alongside other students’ work. It is one of the rare classes where you get to see the actual fruits of your labor. Plus, all of the classes are student-led, so teachers aren’t always hounding you to be silent as they lecture (there are no lectures!). And, even better, there are NO TESTS!

To help you get acquainted with your options as you sign up for classes, here’s a rundown of each journalism publication class:

Craze Magazine

Craze is an entertainment magazine that publishes monthly. On Craze, you will get the opportunity to write, take photos, and learn how to use Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign. You’ll be part of an energetic, awesome staff that works together to create something like this. Also, Craze has been known to have weekly food days and keep a stash of candy somewhere in the Journalism Room (Jroom). They also have late nights, which are always fun- and food-filled productive evenings.

Email editors-in-chief Alexandra Laing and Lia Hagen or adviser Jerred Zegelis for more information. Mass Communications or Photojournalism are the prerequisites for this class.

The Lance Newspaper

The Lance is a monthly newspaper that focuses on writing. If you take the Lance, you will join a tradition-filled publication (it has been around for over 50 years) and learn writing, photography and design skills. Once a month, you will get to be part of distribution, which means handing out copies of the Lance, eating donuts and enjoying the culmination of your hard work.

Email editors-in-chief Estella Fox and Natalija Ward or adviser Jerred Zegelis for more information. Mass Communications or Photojournalism are the prerequisites for this class.

Shield Yearbook

40 years from now, as you look back on high school, you’ll probably go to grab the Shield. Do you want to have a say in what you see? Yearbook, just like the Lance and Craze, teaches you writing, photography and design skills. Furthermore, you get to be part of a staff that does something none of the other staffs do: create one product that lasts a lifetime. Just like Craze and the Lance, Shield has food-filled late nights and more.

Email editors-in-chief Courtney Strayer and Sophie Cosimano or adviser Jerred Zegelis for more information. Mass Communications or Photojournalism are the prerequisites for this class.

Westside Wired is a fast-paced, multimedia publication. From live-tweeting a football game to play-by-play commentating a soccer match to writing the day’s poll, joining this class will give you the opportunity to do, well, anything. Westside Wired lets you learn any journalistic format you’d like while being a part of a publication that averages about 40,000 page views per week. Plus, you get to be the person who tweets about snow days and more.

Email editor-in-chief Clairissa Selby or adviser Matthew Rasgorshek for more information. Intro to TV, Mass Communications or Photojournalism are the prerequisites for this class. The class planning booklet says Westside Wired is for juniors and seniors only, but sophomores can take the class with permission from Rasgorshek.

WTV

WTV is a news and feature broadcast show where students create in-depth journalistic videos under a fun and fast-paced rotation. These videos then go onto Westside Wired under video where it is then exposed to all of Westside High School. If you are interested in anything video-related, WTV is the class for you. Though challenging, WTV rewards with great video experience and serves as a way for you to make a change in Westside and express yourself.

Email executive producers Connor Flairty, Elias Ginsberg, Kady Hosman and Hannah Smith or adviser Matthew Rasgorshek for more information. Intro to TV is the prerequisite for this class.

We hope to see you in journalism classes next year!