Equestrian community riding strong at Westside

With students in seemingly every field of hobbies and jobs, it comes as no shock that an equestrian community in Westside is present. 

Freshman Renate Rand has accumulated six years of riding experience, and says the hobby takes much effort.  “Lots of time and effort goes into taking care of horses,” Rand explained. “I probably spend around two to four hours every day caring for my horses.” 

According to Rand “having eight horses, having enough space for all of them is a big factor in keeping your horses happy and healthy as well as keeping your passion alive. The barn you are at definitely changes how you learn and ride.”

The community also plays a role in her passion. “The barn I was at before definitely held me back, I just didn’t realize it until I left. The community and the people I’m around now are so much better, I get so many opportunities and just feel more motivated to ride.” Rand says. “My barn is mostly younger girls like me so it’s nice to have friends my age with similar interests.” As for competing, Rand says she is involved in fox hunting. “Groups of riders follow their dogs through a cornfield while they hunt down coyotes.”

Along with the team events, Rand can be found taking private lessons with her instructor practicing jumps for horse shows. According to Rand, horse riding isn’t just a hobby: it’s an opportunity. 

“After high school, there are colleges that you can be paid to ride at,” Rand said. “When you get past that, as a career you can become a trainer, an assistant for a celebrity rider, become a professional horse rider… there are lots of things you can do when you become an adult.”

Freshman Zoa Dejong has been riding horses since she was around three, and in the ten years since, she has participated in many hunter and jumper shows.

Dejong expressed her interest in continuing horse shows, but doesn’t feel there are many opportunities after high school. 

“The options outside of high school feel really limited, at least for my interests,” Dejong said. “But the feeling I get while riding is worth continuing.”