Gutschewski breaks record at metro golf

Months of practice and weeks of tournaments have led to the Westside golf team peaking at the right time. The Warriors are gearing up to make a run in the state tournament and go back to back as state champions. The Warriors played in the Metro tournament at Benson golf course on Wednesday, May 8. The Warriors took home yet another win with a combined score of 277. Amongst other records that were broken, the Warriors once again set the record for the lowest score in team history. Last year they broke the record not once, but twice ending the season with the record set at 282. Additionally, their score of 277 ties the all-time lowest score in Nebraska high school golf.  Other notable finishes in the Metro tournament were second place Creighton Prep with a score of 289 and third place Millard North with a score of 300.

Standing out for them was junior Trevor Gutschewski. Trevor is the son of Korn Ferry Tour pro Scott Gutschewski and is committed to play at the University of Florida. Gutschewski played arguably his best round in his high school career, shooting a 63 with five birdies and two eagles. The round of 63 set the record for the lowest score in the history of the Metro tournament, breaking the previous record of 66 by three strokes.  Not only that, but it was only one stroke over the course record of 62.

“I’m proud of it,” Gutschewski said. “Played well, hit it well, putted well. Didn’t really make a lot of mistakes. Feels good to bring everything together one day.”

Head coach Jered Hellman has broken the school record three times in only two seasons with the position. Hellman is nothing short of thrilled with his team and their performance. More specifically, he has a strong pride for how Gutschewski played on Wednesday. Understanding that there are highs and lows to almost everything, Hellman reflects on what his players accomplished.

“Trevor started birdie, birdie, eagle,” Hellman said. “First time I got a score update that he was minus four after three holes. Our young kids struggled a little bit at the beginning and then battled back. Knox got it back to plus-1 and Tye got it back to plus-2. Christopher Whittle has been Mr.Consistency all year. 72, 71, 73 and 72. He didn’t have his best day. His teammates picked him up. To shoot 285 last year and win and have the medalist in Porter (Topp). He was our first Metro winner in a long time. But to go back to back for the first time since 1989 and 1990 and have the medalist once again. And then have second place and some other guys get medals. It’s a testament to the boys. I don’t hit golf shots or putts, these kids are clearly a special group.”

The team was gifted with perfect weather and almost no wind for the tournament. Gutschewski thinks that this assisted him in achieving his historical score.

“It was nice,” Gutschewski said. “It was beautiful. Perfect weather and the greens were great. Tried to keep the course infront of me. I think I hit all the greens so that helps a ton. My games feeling good and this is a big confidence booster to go out there and play well.”

The Warriors will play in the A-1 District at the Fremont Golf Club on Monday, May 13.

The weather was not the only thing that was perfect. Coach Hellman said he previewed the course and believed it to be in near perfect condition. Obviously the condition of the course can drastically change the outcome of a match. In this instance it worked in the Warriors favor.

“It’s just a special day,” Hellman said. “I got here early and walked around the course. I think Benson is just in wonderful condition. Not a lot of wind today and we just caught fire early. We trusted in the process and played the golf course opposed to the other teams.”

There were good scores all around for the Warriors. Senior and Husker commit Jackson Benge also had a very impressive round with a 67. Freshman Tye Treadwell and Knox Pocras shot 74 and 73 respectively. Junior Christopher Whittle finished out the score sheet with a final of 77. Rallying as a team and continuing to be consistent will be extremely important as the season comes to an end.

“It’s great,” Gutschewski said. “It’s amazing to go out there and play well and know I only beat Jackson by four. The rest, our freshmen are playing great. It’s good to see. Plus we shot the school record, it’s incredible. It means a lot to be in the record book like that. I have a lot of pride to say the least.”

Obviously there is one thing on everyone’s mind. That being what lies ahead. The district round at Fremont golf course. If they can keep the consistency at the level it has been at, they should have more than a decent shot at accomplishing another win at the state level.