Senior night recognizes cheer, dance members

Westside celebrated senior night for their cheerleaders and dancers at the Benson vs. Westside boys varsity basketball games on Feb. 10.

This senior night is an opportunity for the underclassmen to show appreciation for all of the senior cheerleaders and dance team members and recognize their hard work throughout all their years of participating in each activity.

Senior cheerleader Jordan Carson shares some of her favorite traditions that some of the underclassmen organize for their seniors.

“My favorite part about senior night was seeing everyone’s photos on the screen and seeing how they’ve grown up,” Carson said. “It was also fun to find out where people are going to college or what they’re thinking of majoring in.”

In addition, other cheerleaders created signs that show each of the cheerleader’s name and a stick figure character in their uniform.

“Our juniors and sophomores work really hard on these signs which means the world to us,” Carson said.

Carson said that one of her favorite parts of participating in cheer at Westside is the chance to go to all kinds of sports games.

“My favorite part of cheer throughout high school is definitely all the opportunities,” Carson said. “We get to go to so many games, whether it’s volleyball, football, or basketball it’s always a fun time.”

Westside Cheer opens up lots of new opportunities for students but it takes a lot of hard work. Senior Ava Schroeder provided advice for anyone who wants to be an upcoming varsity cheerleader.

“I would tell oncoming varsity cheerleaders to manage their time well so they can stay ahead of everything and enjoy your time on cheer while it lasts because it flies by,” Schroeder said.

Schroeder said that managing academics on top of varsity cheer can be overwhelming.

“It can be really hard to juggle academics as well as extracurricular activities so you just have to keep yourself organized and up to date,” Schroder said.

During half time, each senior will be announced and walk along-side their parents and receive a rose for all their hard work throughout the season.

Senior cheerleader Emma Naimoli said she really appreciates senior night as well.

“It means so much to me to get recognized and have everyone there for us seniors at a special night like senior night,” Naimoli said.