Westside High School’s Peer Model Program

Photo+curtesy+of+Zane+Cozad.%0A%0AMr.+Cozad+and+his+students+participate+in+mis-match+day.+
Photo curtesy of Zane Cozad. Mr. Cozad and his students participate in mis-match day.

Westside High School’s Peer Model program is an opportunity for students with and without disabilities to help, work with, support and build relationships with each other while earning service hours in the process.

Special Education instructor Zane Cozad has worked for several years with this program to help build it up. 

“The goal of the peer model program is for meaningful relationships to be created, for strong advocacy to be built across the entirety of the school, community and society,” Cozad said.

Cozad’s favorite part of the Peer Model program is that he gets to see the relationships that students form between each other. 

“My favorite part of the Peer Model program has been the chance to see the relationships that have been created between all different types of people,” Cozad said. “There are people that come together in my classroom that may have never had the opportunity to become friends and care about each other.”

Sophomore Will Tomcykowski reflected on his role as a peer model.

“I do peer modeling mainly to help people who need it and I enjoy making them happy,” Tomcykowski said. “My favorite part of being a peer model is forming friendships with the students and making their day better.”

Sophomore Ruby Stoller shared why she chose to be a peer model.

“I chose to be a Westside peer model because it helps those who need it, and gives them a friend who they can count on,” Stoller said. “I also chose to be a Westside peer model because it gives me many opportunities to hang out with the kids and gain new experiences and friendships.”

Cozad also addressed how the amount of connections between kids in the Peer Model program is astonishing.

“The Peer Model program has brought many moments of appreciation, tears and laughs to my time as a teacher,” Cozad said. “I’m not sure what I expected when I first started the program, but I must admit that I’m very proud of the people who have chosen to be a part of the program.”