Spanish National Honors Society develops new projects

Aubrey
SNHS creates projects on the school, community, and international level

The WHS Spanish National Honors Society has been working hard to create new projects over the first few months of the school year. 

This year is junior Cora Dietrich’s first year in the Honors Society. With meetings typically before or after school every other Tuesday, the group is productive at every meeting to meet their project goals.

“At a typical meeting, we give people roles and then we usually collaborate on ideas. We usually have some snacks too,” Dietrich said.

Throughout the year, students involved in the Spanish National Honors Society will be working to complete three important projects, each on a different scale.

“We do three projects: we do one for the school, one for the community, and one for the world,” Dietrich said. “Right now we’re kind of working on our school’s. I’m not sure what we’re doing for our world project but we’ll work on that throughout the next part of the year,” 

In her first year as co-sponsor, Spanish instructor Amanda Freitag works with Jennifer Paskach to lead meetings, organize projects, and make the SNHS at Westside possible.

“The first [project] they completed was in October and it was for National Spanish week and so they did different activities throughout the week,” Freitag said. “They had tables out throughout lunch mods just to encourage people to read more about the culture and language.”

For the remainder of the year, students will continue to have meetings, create projects, and teach elementary students in the district Spanish.

“I’m really excited to get to know the students. I see them in class but getting to see them outside of class is really exciting, seeing them passionate about something,” Freitag said. “I’m looking forward to seeing them going into the elementary schools and being able to help teach Spanish in the district, as well as seeing their creativity and what projects they pick out for the international one at the end of the year.”