Girls soccer battles top-ranked Gretna to the end

May 18, 2023

The Westside girls varsity soccer team lost to top-ranked Gretna in the NSAA state semi-finals 1-0 on Friday, May 12 at Creighton’s Morrison stadium. The Warriors fought until the end and showed no mercy to the Dragons. Senior midfielder Anna Porter was proud of the team’s effort.

“I think we played with heart and grit and we gave everything we had into that game,” Porter said.

Both teams had many shots on goal in the first half, but none of them would hit the back of the net. Midway through the second half Gretna’s Ava Makovicka booted a shot from 30 yards out making the only goal of the game. Despite the loss, Westside goalkeeper Delani Daubman was satisfied with the team’s play against the defending state champs.

“Looking back at the Gretna game I think we played very well. We know they are a very good team, but so are we,” Daubman said. “We went out onto the field and knew it was going to take everything we had. I was very proud of our performance against a team that ended up winning it all.” 

After the goal was scored by the Dragons, the Warriors did not stop fighting.

“After the goal we all came together and told each other it’s one goal don’t let up,” Daubman said. “We didn’t let up and put in a lot of effort to keep the score 1-0. We all knew we could hold them to one and it would not become more than that. “ 

The Warriors finished the season with a record of 13-6. Westside head coach Chris Dunford was also happy with the performance done by the Warriors during the game and the season.

“We made them fight to the end of the game,” Dunford said.”Their team has won 43 in a row for a reason. We gave them as good of a game as anyone has given them in the past 43 games. It is disappointing, but it has been a heck of a season. I am proud of the girls in terms of what they have done for the program, getting that first win in 13 years.”

Porter has really enjoyed her time at Westside and is glad that she got to be a part of the soccer program.

“My favorite part of high school soccer was the dynamic of our team and how close we all were,” Porter said. “We all listened to each other, and we loved each other so much while playing our hearts out for each other until the end.” 

Daubman also loved getting to spend time with the players during the season, after serving as one of the three team captains.

“Overall in high school I think my favorite part was just getting to spend so much time with my teammates, “Daubman said. ”They truly become a second family during the season. We had a great season and I’m so happy with my time playing soccer at Westside.” 

Even though there are many seniors who made a great impact on the team this year, there is also a bright future for the Warriors with 16 returning varsity players next season. Westside also brings back their top three scorers and goalkeeper Maia Jaroch.