Davies leads Warriors at District meet

May 16, 2023

Senior Lademi Davies has shown outstanding strength in her final District track and field meet as a Warrior. 

Davies competed in the A-4 District meet, where she won the 100 meters, 200 meters, long jump and was second in triple jump on Tuesday, May 9 at Westside’s Phelps Field. Davies looked back on how much it meant to her to be able to compete on her home track for Districts. 

“It meant a lot to me,” Davies said. “It felt really good to be on my home track, it helped me get more relaxed and in the zone for state next week.” 

Davies walked away with multiple wins from the District meet. The senior expressed that her proudest win was in long jump, where she leaped 19 feet and 5 inches.

“Honestly I feel like my best win was the long jump,” Davies said. “I feel like I am finally starting to get more consistent and find my rhythm so it felt really good to be able to hop a good one today.  

Davies has had a phenomenal senior season where she broke many records including her own. The senior leads the state with the fastest time in the 100 meters at 11.78 seconds. Many athletes have mental blocks before a meet or a big game, in situations it can cause them not to perform the best that they can. Davies has worked hard this season to prepare mentally before a race. 

“They felt really good,” Davies said. “I’ve been working a lot on mental stuff before my races, the past few races have been the most consistently well executed in a while so it felt really good.”

Davies will be competing in multiple events at the NSAA Track and Field Championships at Burke Stadium. Davies qualified in the long jump, 200 meter dash, triple jump, and the 100 meter dash. The senior is the defending gold medal champion in the long jump. Davies looks forward to her last state meet as a Warrior. 

“It’s weird I am 100% excited to be back there,” Davies said. “It sucks that it will be my last time there but I will do my best to make it count.”

For the senior this will be her last time competing for the Warriors for a shot at the gold medal. The state meet will be held at Burke Stadium starting Wednesday, May 17.