Westside has record breaking day at Metro meet

May 4, 2023

Jaylen+Lloyd

Jaylen Lloyd

The Westside boys varsity track and field team took third place in the Metro Conference Championships at Burke Stadium on Tuesday, May 2 and Wednesday, May 3. 

For the Warriors the Metro’s finals was a day for personal bests and school records. Senior Jaylen Lloyd, Ty Dingman, Preston Okafor and sophomore Christian Jones, all broke the school 400 meter relay record with a time of 41.94. 

Another school record was set by Lloyd. The defending state champion broke the long jump record with a leap of 48 feet and eight inches. 

Sophomore Conor Gross set another huge personal record in the 800 meter run with a time of 1:57 seconds. Gross was proud of how he competed. 

“Well, it actually was a great race. I think I split pretty evenly for an 800,” Gross said.  “And tactically I was well, I had a good push, my legs are feeling great and it led to four second PR.”

At the end of the two day Metro Championship meet at Omaha Burke, the Warriors took third place with a score of 77. This is the first time Westside has reached the top three in a District meet since 2005. Westside fell short to Millard West with a score of 112 and Creighton Prep with 109.

Up next for the track team for Conor Gross he has to stay mentally strong and trust in his training during his meet. 

“Just staying mentally strong and doing the right things and if I trust in my training,” Gross said. 

The Warriors will host the District A-4 Championship on Tuesday, May 9.