Westside boys track team wins district title

May 8, 2023

Senior Jaylen Lloyd competes in the long jump.

On Tuesday May 9 the Westside boys track team made history when they won the district A-4 championship on their home track at Phelps Field. 

After the victory head coach  Justin Haberman was very proud of all of his athletes and how they performed in the championship meet. 

“It was great, The kids did a great job they performed today,” Haberman said. 

Haberman reflects on two of the biggest goals the team set in late February, which was to win their district and take home their first state title in 48 years. Haberman exclaimed that this was their first step in achieving their goal. 

“They talked about it since the beginning of season, That they would be district and state champs, and this is the first step that we have to take to achieve their goals,” Haberman said. 

During the meet Haberman talked about how each athlete did what they needed to do to help pull off the victory and it could not have been done without each of them executing what they needed to do.

“It was a complete team, a complete team,” Haberman said. “We had field events come through the jumps. Jaylen and Cory did amazing job, and the discus crew did amazing out there. The distance work came in big for us. And then the sprinters did what they do and ran hard.”  

After the historic season Haberman is extremely proud of his coaching staff alongside of his athletes. With a large and diverse staff the team was able to stay healthy and strong throughout the entire season. 

“I’m extremely proud of the tremendous coaches on this coaching staff that worked really hard all season,” Haberman said. 

Next up for the boys is the state meet, where they hope to bring home gold back to Westside. Haberman explained that everyone is going to need to put in the work and battle to win the state title. 

“I think that the guys are put the work in and they’re gonna continue to put the work in and we’re gonna have a great opportunity to battle for a state championship next week,” Haberman stated. 

For the Boys track team they will have 13 athletes competing at the State track meet at Burke High school on May 16 and the 17.