Westside golfers break school scoring record again

May 10, 2023

The boys golf team is living up to expectations as they break yet another school record. After shooting the lowest score in school history earlier this season, they have somehow managed to do it again. The Warriors played in the Capital Cities Invitational and shot a team score of 282 at the Holmes golf course in Lincoln on Thursday, April 27. This is the lowest their team has ever gone in the history of the golf program.

This is a massive accomplishment for their team. Head coach Jered Hellman spoke on what this record means to him and his team as an organization. 

“Breaking the team scoring record is a big accomplishment,” Hellman said. “Our school has a storied boys golf history, so breaking the record means that we are one step closer to reaching our goals.  I preach hard work, dedication, and teamwork to our players, and breaking a record is a reminder that our work is paying off.”

Hellman has been working with the program for many years, but this is his first year as a head coach. There is a great difference between head and assistant coach and with that there are many new lessons to be learned. 

“I have learned countless lessons in my first season as the boy’s coach,” said Hellman. “We have an extremely talented group of golfers that have very high-level golf IQs.  My biggest learning curve has been to learn our new player’s games, and how I can help them on the course and in practice to reach their goals.  We utilize stats from our tournament rounds to help look at the areas that each golfer needs the most improvement on.  

Future Husker commit Jackson Benge also has strong feelings on the record as he and his team continue to shock the circuit. 

“This record is a really cool accolade for our team.”, said Benge “We know we have something special and it’s super cool to know we made our mark in history. I think every tournament we have the record on our mind and we know we could break it anytime.”

Sophomore golfer Trevor Gutschewski, who shot a 2-under-par 70 and won the title in a playoff, is excited about the accomplishment. But he also looks ahead to the next few weeks. 

“Obviously this is a big thing for the school,” Gutschewski said. “I am very proud of everyone on the team and how hard they have worked. But at the same time I don’t think any of us should get complacent. We still have a tough battle ahead of us as metros and all that stuff starts. We just need to continue to do what we know is right and I think we should be set.”

Westside will continue their season and tee off in the Metro Conference tournament at Benson Park on Wednesday, May 10.