Davies and White lead Warriors at Metro meet

May 9, 2023

The girls track team went into the Metro Conference championships with confidence. The Warriors finished fourth as a team, with many outstanding performances. 

Westside’s Lademi Davies finished second in the long jump, with a leap of 19 feet 10 and a half inches. The senior broke her own school record. Davies swept the sprints, by winning the 100 meters with a time of 11.93 and also won the 200 meters with a time of 25.32. Davies expressed how she felt about the meet.

I think Metros went really well,” Davies said. “I have been working on getting in the right mental state before races and jumps, and I feel like it’s finally starting to pay off.  I’m really happy with how everything went.”

There were many other athletes that had amazing performances with junior Claire White getting second in the 1600 meters with a time of 5:00 and the 3200 meters with a time of 10:54.11. Freshman Auzlyn Anderson finished eighth in the 100 meter hurdles with a time of 16.81. With many other great performances, girls head coach Jonathan Priester explained how the team is preparing for Districts and State.

“We are moving on to our district meet. This is the biggest meet of the year and determines who will move on to the state meet,” Priester said. “Our goal is to win this meet and qualify as many girls in as many events as possible.  This is different from how we approach most of our meets.  We will limit girls and what events they compete in just to make sure we aren’t putting too much on their legs and are fatigued at the end of the year.”

Davies keeps raising the bar with more goals to achieve. The defending state champion in long jump explains what is next for her after breaking her own school record again. 

“I’m going to keep trying to improve any way I can,” Davies said. “There’s still a lot of ways I can get better both in the jumps and on the track, so I’d like to set my sights on the state records and keep working.”

Districts will be held on Tuesday, May 9 at Westside.