Baseball team ready for Districts

May 5, 2023

Westside’s baseball season has been a rollercoaster, full of highs and lows to overcome. The team has faced many challenges and many struggles, but through all the things the Warriors have been forced to fight past  they finished the regular season at 13-13, getting a No.3 seed in the A-1 District tournament. 

Pitching has been the strong suit for the Warriors this year, but they have struggled to get timely hits resulting in many close losses. The team has slowly worked through the problem, finishing the season with two straight wins. Both victories were by one run and one going to nine innings. The momentum from the end of the year will be crucial to having a chance to win districts. Westside’s district draw is not easy whatsoever, having to play Lincoln Southeast, and if they are able to win they will more than likely have to play the number one team and defending champions Millard West Wildcats. Senior outfielder Davison Kreiling talks about the district. 

“We definitely got a tough draw,” Kreiling said. “But Southeast is a team we can be, and Millard west is most people’s number one team in the state. They got the number one seed in the tournament, but it’s one game. Beat Southeast and Millard west and you’re in state.”

The Warriors have relied on pitching this year and Grinnell commit Jackson Gutta has been nothing but spectacular. He leads the team with his 1.27 ERA in eight appearances and 44 innings pitched. Gutta struck out 47 hitters and only allowed 12 walks. Coach Otis Seals and the Warriors will be unable to rely on Gutta, as he’s out the rest of the season due to personal reasons. 

“It’s great to have such a reliable pitcher, but all the credit goes to Jackson,” Seals said. “That dudes a cage rat, he’s always working on his craft. He knows exactly what he needs to do and he has worked so hard to be the pitcher he is today.”

The A-1 District that the Warriors were placed in is very tough. The district includes the reigning champions the Millard West Wildcats, the Lincoln Southwest Silverhawks coming at 17-10, the play-in game between Omaha Central and Omaha South, and the Warriors. The district will be no easy task for whoever comes out on top. Senior pitcher and Northeast Community College commit Max Coughlin shares his thoughts on Westside’s chances in districts. 

“I honestly think we are coming into this district with the most momentum we’ve really had all year long,” Coughlin said.  “Because it’s not a bad way to end the regular season with a walk off versus a top five team in the state. I think we’re coming in with a lot of momentum and could really make some damage.”

District play will be against Lincoln Southeast on Saturday, May 5. Iif the Warriors win, they will go on to play in a second game later that day against who will presumably be Millard West. All games will be played At Millard West High School.