Hagen scores hat-trick to win District title

May 5, 2023

Ross Jernstrom

Junior Sydney Hagen scored 3 goals in the win over Columbus. “It was everything,” Hagen said. “It felt so nice to finally get some goals especially in a game like this, I just played my heart out.”

The girls soccer team took home the A-5 District championship trophy after beating Columbus 3-0 on Tuesday, May 2. The Warriors advanced to the state tournament with a 12-5 record and will be the No.5 seed.

Junior Sydney Hagen led the Warriors to the win, after scoring all three goals for a hat-trick in the match. Hagen had only scored one goal in 16 matches before the District final.

“It was everything. It felt so nice to finally get some goals especially in a game like this, I just played my heart out,” Hagen said.

Senior goalkeeper Delani Daubman is proud of her team and is excited to move on to the state tournament. 

“It is insane to think, coming into this game we knew it was gonna be hard,” Daubman said. “Just having that shutout meant so much, having scored those three goals just mind blowing. Hagen is a great player all around going into this game scoring three goals. I know our whole team is proud of her performance.” 

Head coach Chris Dunford is also super proud of the team and to see the growth of the players as they head to the state tournament.

“I think at the start of the season our goal was to be at state by the end of the season,” Dubford said. “There have been some road bumps on the way and it wasn’t always pretty soccer throughout the season. The talent and experience in the group has come together at the right time. When Sydney is on it she is tough to stop, all different types of goals and when she is attacking she is quick and strong, it was nice to see her get that reward tonight.”

Daubman registered her 11th shutout of the season. The senior is ready to cap off her high school career with a strong finish at the state tournament.

“We are most likely going to play Marian, our third time playing them and we are out for blood,” Daubman said. “We want to beat them so badly and we are going to go into state with everything we got like we did in this game and hope that we get the outcome that we want.” 

Dunford believes in his team and that they have a good shot at winning state.

“You’re there you’re at Morrison anything can happen when you are at Morrison. We have the talent, with 17 returning varsity players,” Dunford said.

The Warriors will open the state tournament at Creighton’s Morrison stadium against Omaha Marian on Tuesday, May 9 at 2 p.m.