Girls soccer team hosts Columbus in district final

May 3, 2023

The girls soccer team advanced to the A-5 District finals after defeating Lincoln High on Monday, May 1. The Warriors have had a great season so far, with their overall record being at 11-5. Westside will take on Columbus on Wednesday in the District finals and fight for a spot in the state tournament. Columbus is ranked No. 8 in Class A with a record of 9-5. 

The Warriors feel very prepared to play Columbus and are ready to give it their all. Westside’s goalkeeper Delani Daubman is confident about the match.

“I feel good going into our next game, as a team we have shown what we are made of,” Daubman said. “We will go into our next game with everything we got, and we aren’t going to underestimate any opponent. We will give it our all and hope to come out on top and make a run for it at state.” 

The Warriors have won six of their last seven matches. Senior forward Charlotte Murphy believes the team has a lot of momentum.

“I feel really confident going into the game against Columbus because we know how to take care of business. I’m very excited for the district final,” Murphy said.

Freshman Mia Urosevich is looking forward to earning a ticket to the state tournament next week.

“I am excited and a little nervous for our next game. I think we are all ready to play hard to get the outcome we want,” Urosevich said.

The girls soccer team has improved as the season has gone on from connecting more passes and overall, playing as one. But the job is not finished yet.

“I think we have had a solid season this year. We started off slow, but have made big strides throughout the season. We are all becoming more comfortable playing with each other and that has shown in our last couple of games,” Daubman said.

The Warriors have been impressive on defense, where they have posted ten shutout victories.

“I think we have played really good this season and we still have a lot left to prove,” Urosevich said.

The District final will be the final match for the seniors at Phelps Field. Murphy hopes to go out with a win.

“I think we’ve played super well this season and I think that this year we’ve had the most talent that we’ve ever had throughout my time in high school,” Murphy said.

Freshman Mia Urosevich and Nora Johnson have really enjoyed and had a lot of fun their first year on Westside soccer. Johnson has scored five goals this season.

“My favorite part of the season was playing for my school and meeting new girls,” Johnson said.

Urosevich has competed on three varsity sports teams this season. The soccer season has been special.

“I have liked being able to play in front of a crowd and getting to meet new people,” Urosevich said.

The Warriors will host No. 8 Columbus on Wednesday, May 2 at 6 p.m.