Gutschewskis are a winning father-son combination on the golf course

May 3, 2023

Throughout the history of sports there have been multiple notable pairs of father and son duos. The Griffeys, Currys, and Ewings just to name a few. Having a figure to look upon for someone of encouragement or inspiration is incredibly important for moving forward and succeeding in life. Especially if they have the same ties and interests as you. When it comes to improving in athletics who wouldn’t want to have a professional to be there with every step of the way. Even better when it’s your own dad. 

This pair out of Omaha is making a name for themselves as a dominant father-son duo. Scott Gutschewski and his son Trevor are some of the top golfers of the respective age and regional divisions. Scott has been a Korn Ferry pro since 1999 and has been nothing short of a top tier player. In his time on the tour he has three tour wins, just recently getting his third last month in the Suncoast Classic at Lakewood Ranch, Florida. Gutschewski currently holds the fifth place in the ranking on the tour and plans to continue his success in battles to come. 

Scott’s son Trevor is a sophomore this year at Westside and is trying to do his best to follow in his father’s footsteps. Even though it is only his first year at Westside he has already proved himself as a golfer. Last month Trevor won the Cap Cities Invitational  with a round of 70. Through his next two seasons he hopes to cement his family’s name even further into the record books. 

With the purse for the Suncoast tournament sitting at $1 million, this is the largest tournament Scott has ever won. This is an extremely big accomplishment for him as a player and his son thinks so too. 

“I couldn’t be more proud of him,” Trevor said. “Obviously I have always been one of his biggest supporters and it is very important to me to see him win like this.”

The bond between father and son is very strong and important for a young man to prosper. One of the best ways to grow that relationship is through interest. 

“Growing up playing with him has always been one of my favorite memories and I think that translates into how I feel for him,” Trevor said. “We both just have such a deep rooted love for the game.”

Trevor has seen first hand how hard his father has worked and understands what this means to him. 

“So it’s really nice to see win one and get the acknowledgement he deserves,” Trevor said.

After rolling in a 45-foot putt to win the playoff at the Suncoast Classic, Scott gave a teary eyed speech about how he felt about the victory. 

“Hard to put it into words right now,” Scott said. “That’s for sure. It’s been a long time. So, yeah, it’s probably really hard to talk now. Probably like a lot like a couple of years ago when I got my card again. It’s tough, It’s tough to put into words.”

After working towards a goal your whole life, clearly it would be emotional to win like this. That is where Scott thinks a lot of these feelings are coming from. 

“I wish I had sunglasses,” Scott said. “Just kind of, trying to be the type of player that I teach my kids to be. You know, and I guess just listening to myself.” 

Both Scott and Trevor will continue the rest of their season on the golf course and are hopeful to keep their success going.