Greenwald and Schroeder sweep singles titles

May 3, 2023

Sophomore Grace Greenwald and junior Ava Schroeder show off their first place medals at the Kearney Doubles Invite on April 13.

The girls varsity tennis team had a runner-up finish at the Grand Island Invitational on Thursday, April 27. The Warriors were led by sophomore Grace Greenwald, who won the No.1 singles title. Junior Ava Schroeder also took the No.2 singles crown. With the tennis season getting closer to its final test, Schroeder explains how she thinks she has been performing so far in the season. 

My performance this year is improving as I work on my singles game and this is my first year playing singles, as I played doubles the last two years of high school,” Schroeder said. 

“Singles is a completely different game than doubles with different strategies and skills involved, so I am working towards perfecting these skills to prepare for the upcoming metro and state tournaments.”

Varsity head coach Bart Jeseritz is in his second year coaching tennis. Jeseritz is passionate and expressed what he thought about the performance at the Grand Island Invitational. 

“The girls played really well,” Jeseritz said. “We had a second place finish in a tough field which is great and we had some girls get wins over folks we lost to earlier in the year so it is always exciting to see that progress.”

Greenwald placed third at state in the 2022 season in the No.1 singles as a freshman. Greenwald who is now a sophomore explains what she is hoping to improve for the matches ahead. 

I hope to improve on my consistency during my matches,” Greenwald said.  “During the Grand Island Invite I believe my consistency is what helped me win and I just want to keep improving that for my future matches.”

Jeseritz has a great group of athletes that work hard for everything they do even outside of the court. I’m lucky that I have a group of players that work incredibly hard whether it is part of a school activity, private lessons, clinics during the summer, etc,” Jeseritz said. “They love tennis, and they want to be at their best.”