Hteh breaks 25 year-old school soccer record

May 2, 2023

Westside forward Jeremiah Hteh has put his name in the record books. The junior  set a new school record for the most goals scored in a match with five against Westview on Monday, April 17.

Hteh broke the previous record, which was set by Brad Schweer in 1998. Hteh has been the leading scorer for the team and has proven himself as a dominant force at the striker position this year.

Hteh spoke about the feelings after breaking a school record and also being the leading scorer for the team.

“It feels good but there’s more records to be broken,” Hteh said. “I want to keep breaking records so I just gotta keep going.”

Hteh is the leading scorer in Class A with 21 goals this season. The junior also leads the state in total points with 43. Head coach Mike Dean spoke about Hteh’s record breaking performance and how it feels to have his name written down in Westside history.

“Jeremiah is a fantastic player and person, I’ve been fortunate to have known him for many years,” Dean said. “So his ability and accomplishments doesn’t surprise me.”

Westside is heading into the finals of the District tournament and Hteh explained the team’s mindset heading into the championship match.

“The mindset is just to win,” Hteh said. “Just go into blinder mode and win as a team”.

Coach Dean’s mentality for Districts is to take it one game at a time.

“It’s a one game season now, so we have to be at our best from now on,” Dean said. “It takes time to bring players and a playing style together and this year was a challenge with a difficult schedule. But we had some big wins these past three weeks that showed that we can get past anyone.”

After a 2-1 win over Lincoln Pius X in the A-2 district semi-finals, the Westside boys soccer team advanced to the championship match against the winner of the North Platte-Gretna semi-final.