State Champion Jaylen Lloyd returns to track, after suffering an injury

April 27, 2023

Westside’s Jaylen Lloyd is back on the track. The four-time state champion returned to competition this April after being injured last fall. The All-State wide receiver suffered a football injury in the semi-finals in November and wasn’t able to play in the state championship game against Gretna. The Warrior senior was ready to get back into running again, but he tweaked his hamstring on the first day of track practice in February.  Lloyd’s comeback has taken almost two months.

“I’ve been working with my personal trainer and track coaches to deal with the injury. Although the process has been a little slow, I’ve been recovering,” Lloyd said. 

Lloyd made his first appearance in the long jump at the Kansas Relays on Saturday, April 15. He finished in third place in the boys long jump with a leap of 22 feet and 6½ inches. Lloyd is the defending state champion in long jump, triple jump and 100 meters. After being named the 2022 Gatorade Track and Field Athlete of the Year, Lloyd has big goals for the 2023 track season.

“My goals are to break three state records and win the team title at State,” Lloyd said.

Last summer Lloyd won the 2022 National Junior Olympic championships in the long jump. Lloyd will be competing in the long jump, triple jump, 100 meters and the 1600-meter relay this season for the Warriors. 

“I will run the 4-by-100 instead of the 200 this year just because I don’t think it will be smart to run the 200 with a bad hamstring,” Lloyd said. 

Lloyd’s track season will help him prepare for the Nebraska football season. The Husker recruit is expected to make an impact as a receiver next fall.