Boys golf team has strong start to the season

April 24, 2023

The boys golf team at the Papio Invite.

The Westside boys golf team is off to an impressive start this season.  The Warriors have competed in four tournaments and have won the team title twice. Westside finished as the runner-up in the other two events.

The Warriors competed in the Alex Shives Memorial-Papillion La-Vista Golf Invitational at Oak Hills Country Club on Monday, April 3. Oak Hills is a par 71 course and the Warriors trailed Creighton Prep by 10 strokes going into the back nine. The Warriors made a huge comeback and got the win in the end. Standing out in this match was sophomore transfer Trevor Gutschewski. The Westside sophomore is playing his first year of Warrior golf this year, after transferring from Elkhorn Mount Michael following his freshman season. 

Gutschewski shot one under par and led his team in this match. Turning the tides of the scores and punching his team’s ticket to win it in the end. 

“Going into the back nine I saw the score and was thinking how I could help my team,” Gutshewski said. “So I just kept a calm head and played the best I could. I went back to what I knew and played calm. In the end that’s what I think helped our team get an advantage.”

Trevor’s father is Korn Ferry Tour pro golfer Scott Guschewski. Trevor spoke on some of the things his dad has taught him when playing under pressure. 

“Obviously my dad has always preached keeping a cool head.” Gutschewski said. “That’s one of the biggest parts of golf. If you can’t stay calm and collected then you will make errors and all that will do is hurt your team.”

The Warriors continued their success at the Fremont Invitational on Thursday,April 14, where they took first place with an eight-stroke victory. Westside set a school record with a team score of 285. Gutchewski was the top medalist with a round of 70.

Westside also finished as the runner-up in the Creighton Prep Invitational at Champions Run on Monday, April 17. Jackson Benge led the Warriors with an impressive round of 3-under par 69.  

Westside’s hopes to continue their success over the month to come and take a shot again at a state title. After finishing just one stroke behind Lincoln East last year, the Warriors believe they will be able to come back this year in the state championship.