Okafor runs into the record books

April 18, 2023

This has been a record breaking season for Preston Okafor on the track. The Westside junior shattered the school record in the 100 meters with a time of 10.86 on Friday, April 7 at the Omaha Benson Invitational. Okafor beat the record by .01 seconds, which was held by Avante Dickerson and Matt Berkshire with a time of 10.87. 

The Okafor family has had many great athletes at Westside high school. Preston’s brother Wesley holds the school record in the 200 meters with a time of 21.72 seconds and his brother Collins set a rushing record in football. Okafor is determined to follow the success of his family on the track.

What motivates me is my family and the people who care about me because I want to make them proud,” Okafor said.

Along with this there are also many people who have helped Okafor get to where he is today, including his family and many coaches at Westside. People enjoy doing different things and for Okafor that thing is running.

I just love running and competing against people, there’s nothing like it,” Okafor said.

Okafor has come a long way since his sophomore season on the track. Last year he finished second at the District meet with a time of 10.97 in the 100 meters. However he did not make the finals at the State Championships and finished 17th in the prelims. After breaking the 100-meters school record Okafor felt very accomplished and elated.

“I was very excited after I broke the record. That’s definitely something I’ve always wanted to accomplish. But there’s still more I can do in the tank so it’s only the beginning,” Okafor said.

Okafor lowered his school record at the Kansas Relays in Lawrence on Friday, April 14. The Westside sprinter set a personal record with a time of 10.69 seconds in the prelims. Okafor will compete at the Harold Scott Invitational at Lincoln High on Thursday, April 20.