White shatters school record in the 3200 meters

April 17, 2023

The Westside girls track team has many outstanding athletes including Claire White. The Warrior junior is off to a record breaking start to the season. White shattered her own school record in the 3200 meters with a time of 10:56.21 at the Westside Invitational on Saturday, April 1. White also won the 800 and 1600 meter events later in the meet. White reflected on sweeping all the distance events at the invitational.

“I think it was really good, it went really well for the whole team,” White said. “I started off with the two mile and broke my own school record so that was exciting.”

White’s time in the 3200 meters broke the school record of 11:10.67, which she set last year. White was thrilled to break the 11:00 minute mark in 3200 meters, but now she has another goal to make in the mile run. 

“I think breaking that five minute mark in the mile is going to be my biggest feat this year,” White said. “Hopefully we’ll get it in the next couple meets, but that is going to be my biggest thing for sure.”

The Westside Invitational was White’s first outdoor meet of the season and now ranks second in the state behind Jaci Sievers of Elkhorn South with a time of 10:23.21. White also has the third best time in the 800 meters with a clocking of 2:17.99. 

White continued her success at the Kansas Relays in Lawrence on Saturday, April 14. The Westside junior finished in third place in the 1600 and 3200 meters against some of the best distance runners in the midwest. White’s time in the 1600 meters was 5:08.99, which ranks second in Class A.

White’s next meet will be in the Harold Scott Invitational at Lincoln High School on Thursday, April 20.