Husker football recruit switches from soccer to track

April 13, 2023

Nebraska football recruit Tristan Alvano will no longer play soccer for the Warriors, and will compete for the Westside varsity track team this spring. The All-American kicker will need to be explosive when he plays for the Huskers, so running track should help him on the football field. 

“I think it really helped me get explosive and you know just really strengthened my legs to get ready for the summer,” Alvano said. 

Alvano had an impressive career playing soccer with many clubs and spent three out of his four years playing for the Warriors. He was the leading goal scorer for Westside’s state runner-up team in 2022.  Alvano reflected on his decade old soccer career and how it paved his legacy on the pitch. 

“I’ve probably played like nine or 10 years or so years and including my time here at Westside high school,” Alvano said.  “I love the guys, teammates and coaches, just the whole support of soccer was great, but at the end of the day, it’s the best thing for me.” 

Alvano will be running in the 1600 meter relay, as well as the open 400 meters and they will sometimes sprinkle him in the 200 meter dash.

“Coach was telling me that he thinks I can excel in the 4-by-400, and the 400 and then maybe try the 200 in meets,” Alvano said.

Alvano believes there is a major transition from football and soccer practices to track and it is a big change for him. 

“Practices are a lot different, usually running after a ball or in football, and kicking the ball in soccer,” Alvano said.  “It’s just really focusing on my form and running but I mean, it’s only gonna help me out and so I like it.”

Alvano has experienced many state tournaments and championships and hopes to bring home gold during the state track meet in May. 

“I have  experienced state soccer, state football, and all of that stuff,” Alvano said. “But I think state track I mean, the guys have said how it’s kind of its own league like it’s one of a kind.”

After some new intense workouts and some smart coaching from head coach Justin Haberman, Alvano is very happy that he is maintaining his fitness. 

“The practices are intense and they work for you but they’re not super long. It’s just  enough to get a good workout in,” Alvano said. “Coach Haberman is really good about maintaining and not overworking yourself.”

Alvano will be back in action when he runs in the Titan Classic today.