Boys golf to open season March 24

March 13, 2023

Jackson+Benge

Jackson Benge

In the days to come the Westside boys golf team will be hitting the links once again. After finishing last season just one stroke away from a state title, the team is very excited to come back and prove themselves as a community. 

There is a lot of talent and also plenty of potential on this team. Senior Porter Topp is committed to play at UNO next year and junior Jackson Benge is committed to play at UNL. 

After becoming one of the top golfers in the state and committing to Nebraska last fall, Benge has already proven himself as a contender. Last year Benge was the Metro runner-up, District champion and finished in fourth place at the state tournament. But the question is, does he have anything left to prove? 

Former assistant golf coach Jered Hellman was promoted to head coach, after longtime coach Brett Froendt retired last season. The Warriors have several up and coming golfers, who hope to prove themselves this season and make their school proud. One of the newcomers looking to improve their skills and untap their potential is freshman Callan Gonnerman. 

“This year I am really looking forward to becoming the best golfer I can possibly be,” Gonnerman said.“Whether it’s through practicing or learning from some of the upperclassmen. I think that at westside I have everything I need to succeed and reach my goals. We have Jackson who is obviously one of the top golfers in the state and he so far has really been a great help in navigating the high school circuit.”

The Warriors will be acquiring a new transfer out of Elkhorn Mount Michael in sophomore Trevor Gutschewski. Gutschewski was among the top scorers last season and hopes to continue his success at Westside. 

The Westside boys golf team will open the season in a triangular against Creighton Prep and Lincoln Southeast at the Johnny Goodman golf course on Friday, March 24.