Westside boys basketball headed to A-6 District championship game

February 28, 2023

The Westside boys basketball team wrapped up the regular season in an exciting matchup against No. 1 Bellevue West on Saturday, Feb. 18. The Thunderbirds escaped an upset with a 80-78 overtime win against the Warriors.

Coming into the game the Warriors were expected to be outmatched and out played but that was not the case. In the first quarter the tempo of this game was set as it was action packed and only decided by points. After a competitive regulation the game was tied at 73-73. The game headed into overtime, where the Thunderbirds were able to sneak away from the Warriors despite their efforts. Westside missed a three-point attempt in the final seconds.

The game featured future college athletes like Westside senior Tate Odvody, who led the game in scoring, having 25 points on an efficient 71 percent from the field. The Warriors also had an impressive performance from junior Caleb Benning, who scored 15 points. Bellevue West was pushed to victory by star senior Jaxon Stueve with 21 points and Creighton commit Josiah Dotzler with 18 points.

“I think this game goes to show how far we have come from the time we played them in Metros and that we are capable of playing with anyone,” Odvody said.

The  Warriors turned their focus towards their A-6 District semi-final game with Burke on Saturday, Feb.25. In the first half of the game Westside’s offense was flat and Burke was able to capitalize off of missed opportunities, going into halftime Westside led 30-27. The second half the Warriors came to play, outscoring Burke 55-31 leading them to clinch their fourth district championship game in four years. 

Two Westside juniors led the way for the Warriors, CJ Mitchell had a game high with 18 points, seven assists and four boards. Kevin Stubblefield had a cool 15 points and Maddox Anderson continued to deliver with14 points of his own.

“The first half was pretty sloppy, we were playing slow on both the offensive and defensive side of the hall,” Anderson said. “We regrouped at halftime and really locked in to sharing the ball and valuing possessions. Once we get the ball moving and the team energy up, we are hard to beat. I feel like I played pretty well, not my best, but not my worst either. Going into tonight’s game I know I’m going to get open looks from beyond the arc that I need to knock down and I have to continue to communicate on the court to help out the team.”

The No. 6 Warriors host Lincoln High on Tuesday in hopes of advancing to the state tournament for the third time in four years. The Links are looking to make the tournament for the first time since 2010. Tipoff for the A-6 District championship game is at 7 p.m.