Westside’s Regan Rosseter wins third state title

February 28, 2023

The Westside girls wrestling season has come to end with a great finish at the NSAA State Tournament on Saturday, Feb.18 at the CHI Health Center in Omaha. The Warriors finished as the state runner-up as a team, with only five girls on the team. All five of the wrestlers placed on the podium, with junior Regan Rosseter taking home the gold medal. It was the highest finish by a Westside wrestling team, since the Warriors won back to back state titles in 1976 and 1977.

Rosseter pinned her opponent Kehlanee Bengston of Aurora to win the match at 130lbs. The Westside junior spoke about what her third gold medal meant to her after so much hard work throughout the season.

“I am speechless, I just don’t know how I am feeling to be honest,” Rosseter said. “It’s something I dreamed of doing ever since I was a little girl.”

Westside head coach Bob Mulligan also spoke about Rosseter’s third time winning the NSAA State Championship.

“Regan is such a special wrestler. She steps up in big matches,” Mulligan said. “I’m so excited to see her compete for (championship) number four next year.”

South Sioux City finished in first place with 109 points, while Westside came in second with 89. Coach Mulligan was thrilled with the state runner-up finish.

“It’s absolutely unbelievable,” Mulligan said. “We talked about how it was possible all year long and the girls went out and did it.”

Rossetter finished with a record of 31-1. The junior wrestler spoke about the team’s second place finish with only five competitors. 

“It was just so special to be a part of it.” Rosseter said, “I was just speechless when Bob told us that we got runner up as a team”.

Mulligan spoke about the team’s vision for next year’s season.

“It’s been an unreal season, we’ve set numerous records, shared a lot of laughs, tears, highs and lows but I wouldn’t trade it for anything,” Mulligan said. “We only have one senior so I’m very excited to see how the team gears up for next year.”

Rosseter spoke about the team’s goals for next year after such a dominant season for the team.

“Our goal as a team is take that state title” Rosseter said, “ As for myself, I want to get that fourth state title”

The Westside girls wrestling team will be losing just one senior wrestler, but their goals remain the same. The Warriors hope to bring home a state championship trophy in 2024.