After defeating Millard West, Westside clinches home court advantage for Districts

February 15, 2023

The No.6 Westside basketball team had a date with the Millard West Wildcats on Valentine’s Day, in a game that the Warriors needed to win for home court advantage in Districts. The Warriors matched a season high to roll past the Wildcats 86-61.

In a game that would heavily affect playoff implications the Warriors left no room for error as they jumped out to a scorching hot start in the first quarter, ending with a 16-point lead. Tate Odvody scored ten of his game high 17 points in the first quarter to lead the Warriors.

“Tonight was a good win that we needed in order to host districts at home,” Odvody said. “ I feel like that is a big advantage for us.”

The lead only grew larger in the second quarter as Westside opened up a 45-24 lead at halftime. Maddox Anderson came off the bench and scored 13 points. The junior guard went an outstanding three of four attempts from beyond the arc. Anderson emphasized the intensity of Westside’s defense as the difference in the game.

“Man it’s all defense, defense, defense we got to keep working on our rotations, our backside help and just coming together as a team,” Anderson said. “I think the way we’ve come together this season has been super impressive and I’m super excited to see what we can do to finish out the regular season.”

The offensive surge was led by the upperclassmen on the squad starting with an impressive outing from C.J Mitchell, the junior point guard had himself a night, as he neared a triple double with 15 points, 10 assists and eight rebounds.

Kevin Stubblefield was also a force in the paint and from the three-point line. The junior forward finished with 16 points and gave credit to his teammates.

“The biggest factor in tonight’s game was just us and how we played,” Stubblefield said. “ We didn’t change anything over the week, we just did what Westside does very well tonight.”

The Warriors were needing wins in two of their next three games to host in the District tournament, the win over Bryan was one, and this game against the Wildcats sealed the deal. The Warriors seemed to have found their groove as of late and they look to continue sticking to the game plan. 

The Warriors wrap up their regular season at home on Saturday, Feb. 18 against No.1 Bellevue West at 5:15 p.m. in a game that could gain huge momentum going into the postseason.