Ten Warriors plan to play college football

February 14, 2023

Westside’s football team has ten seniors looking forward to playing at the next level.  

Senior Jaylen Lloyd will be playing football at the University of Nebraska this fall. The All-State wide receiver scored five touchdowns this past season and was a key player to taking the Warriors to the state championship. The three-time gold medalist will also compete on the track team.  

“I chose Nebraska because of the relationship I built with the football and track coaches there and because both my parents went there,” Lloyd said.

Along with Lloyd, senior teammate Tristan Alvano will be joining the Nebraska roster. Alvano has been rated a five-star kicker, as well as booting the game winner at the State Championship game to edge Gretna 43-41.

“I have great relationships with the staff,” Alvano said. “I think they’re all great people and they can help me improve in many ways on and off the field these next few years. I think they’re very passionate about getting Nebraska back to where they should be and I’m so excited I get to be a part of that. I can’t wait to experience big ten football. One of the most competitive conferences year in and year out it’ll be very cool to be playing in a different stadium every couple weeks.”

Quarterback Ari Holmstrom will be joining the Concordia Bulldogs, as the campus felt like home to him. He will be continuing his football career, but also be majoring in physical therapy at his time as a Bulldog. 

“I chose Concordia because on campus it was super nice and just felt like home compared to other college campuses I was on,” Holmstrom said. “I am looking forward to meeting new people and making new connections with my teammates. My future plans are to study exercise science and major in physical therapy.” 

Payton McDonald will be attending Iowa Western Community College this fall to play football. The anchor of the Warriors offensive line was named to the All-Metro-Conference first team and averaged about 400 yards a game. McDonald plans to study criminal Justice and work his way up to eventually getting a Division I offer for football.

“I chose Iowa Western so I can better my chances of hopefully going d1 some day, it’s a financially good option, it’s close to home, and I love the coaching staff,” McDonald said.

Punter Marty Mormino will be joining the University of Nebraska-Kearney Lopers in the fall 2023. He felt as if campus was a great fit for him and his family, he will be majoring in pre-med and continuing his football career. 

“I ended up picking Kearney to play football because it was just a great fit from the campus to the coaches to the academics everything just fit super well and my parents loved it and it’s close to home,” Mormino said. “I’m most looking forward to meeting new people and my first home game. My future plans are to study on the pre med track with a biology major.” 

Senior Curt Cubrich will be playing football at Wayne State this fall. The All-State linebacker ended the season with 94 tackles and was named to the All-State first team. The fullback and team captain also scored 5 touchdowns and rushed 540 yards. 

“I chose Wayne State because it has a great coaching staff and they are continuing to improve every year. It felt like somewhere I could spend four years at and enjoy it,” Cubrich said.

“My plans in college are to obviously play football and my goal is to gain a starting position by my sophomore year. I would like to become a leader on the team and be named a captain by my senior year. And as a whole I would like to maximize my potential as a football player and be the best I can be.”

Four other Warriors plan to play college football next fall. Defensive lineman Adrian Jones will attend Southwest Minnesota State. Safety Ty Keifer will play at Wayne State. Wide receiver Wesley Okafor is headed to Iowa Western Community College. Long snapper Will DePooter will walk-on at the University of Nebraska.