18 Westside athletes sign their NLI

February 1, 2023

18 Westside Athletes after signing their NLI

National Signing Day was an important event for 18 Westside athletes. The Warriors signed their National Letter of Intent to continue playing the sport they love at the collegiate level. Five sports are represented from baseball, football, soccer, swimming and lacrosse. Westside honored all the athletes in a ceremony in the main gym on Wednesday, Feb. 1.  

Ty Chullino- Baseball

Chullino will play baseball at Simpson College, after helping the Warriors advance to the 2022 State Tournament. The infielder is coming off an impressive junior season, where he had a .333 batting average. He had 15 hits and drove in nine runs. Chullino was also a threat on the basepaths, where he had 14 stolen bases.  

“I chose Simpson because it really gave me a different feeling when I stepped on campus. The coaches and players immediately made me feel like family,” Chullino said. “I’ll miss playing with all my friends here that I made at Westside, and all the memories that we made.”

Jackson Gutta- Baseball

Gutta will play baseball at Grinnell College. Gutta was one of the top pitchers on Westside’s state tournament team in 2022. He had an earned run average of 3.97 over 12.1 innings and recorded ten strikeouts.

“I knew Grinnell was the place that I wanted to go immediately as I stepped on campus, I just loved the coaches and the facilities,” Gutta said. “I’m going to miss Westside baseball so much, some of my greatest memories and friends have come from Westside”.

Dominic Vincentini- Lacrosse

Vincentini will play face-off and midfield on the lacrosse team at William Jewell College, after three years on the Westside varsity team. Vincentini registered six goals and forced seven turnovers for the Warriors. Vincentini was also a wide receiver and defensive back on Westside’s State Championship football team.

“I chose William Jewell because of the strong academics and I really connected with the coach, as well as the teachers on campus when I went on my visit,” Vincentini said. “ I’m going to miss all my coaches here at Westside, as well as my teammates.”

Reagan Koom- Lacrosse

Koom will play college lacrosse at Emory and Henry College in Emory, Virginia. She played midfield and defense on the lacrosse team. Koom has played lacrosse for eight years and started with the Omaha LAX club.

“I’m going to Emory and Henry College because of the relationship I have with the coaches, and I just fell in love with the school when I got there,” Koom said. “I’m going to miss all of my friends at Westside, and my family.”

Jaylen Lloyd- Football

Lloyd will play college football at the University of Nebraska. Lloyd was named to the All-State first team as a wide receiver and helped the Warriors to the State Championship. He had 44 receptions for 784 yards and scored five touchdowns. Lloyd is also a three-time state champion in track and field. Lloyd took the gold medal in the long jump, triple jump and the 100 meters. Lloyd was also the National Champion in the long jump.

I chose Nebraska because of the coaching staff, they talked to me about development which is a big thing for me. I also am getting the opportunity to run track there as well, I’m also a family legacy in the track program, so that’s special to me,” Lloyd said. “The thing that I’ll miss most about Westside is the tough football games with my brothers, especially the Millard South game.”

Tristan Alvano- Football

Alvano is headed to the University of Nebraska, after he was named the top high school kicker in the nation by Kohl’s Professional Kicking Camps. The first-team All-Stater had a record breaking season for the Warriors in their State Championship season.  Alvano set the state record for the most points in a season by a kicker with 118. He also set the state record for field goals in a season with 16 and in a career with 27. Alvano broke the school record with a 57-yard field goal. Alvano capped off his high school career with a playoff record five field goals in the state championship game. Alvano booted the game winning 45-yard field goal as time expired to capture the Class A title game over Gretna 43-41.

“The thing that made me pick Lincoln was the relationship that I built with the coaches, they made me feel at home,” Alvano said. “The thing that I’ll miss during my time at Westside is the relationships between my teammates.”

Ari Holmstrom- Football

Holmstrom will play quarterback at Concordia University, after helping Westside to the State Championship. Holmstrom saw limited action as the backup quarterback his senior year. He completed four of nine passing attempts for 20 yards.

I chose Concordia because the coaches felt like family, and the relationships I’ve built with the team are already up there,” Holmstrom said. “I’m going to miss all the connections I’ve made here during my time at Westside, and all the memories.”

Payton McDonald- Football

McDonald will play college football at Iowa Western Community College. McDonald was the anchor of Westside’s offensive line that averaged 399 yards a game in total offense. McDonald was named to the All-Metro Conference first team and played in the Blue-Grey All-American Bowl.

“I chose Iowa Western because I’m very close with the coaching staff because I trained there over the summer. Obviously it’s a winning program, they’re going to help me get to the level I want to be at,” McDonald said. “The thing that I’ll miss most about Westside is the locker room shenanigans after practice and games.” 

Adrian Jones- Football

Jones will play college football at Southwest Minnesota State University. Jones was the leader of Westside’s defensive line, which went on to win the State Championship. At 6-foot-4 and 225 pounds, Jones dominated the trenches and helped the Warriors to a 12-1 record.

The reason I chose SMSU is because the football program reminds me of Westside’s program a lot,” Jones said. “I’m definitely going to miss the coaches at Westside.”

Curt Cubrich- Football

Cubrich will attend Wayne State College as a preferred walk-on. The Westside team captain was named to the All-State first team as a linebacker, after he led the defense in tackles with 58 solo stops and 94 total tackles. Cubrich played fullback on offense, where he rushed for 540 yards and scored nine touchdowns. 

I chose Wayne State because it has great coaches and players, the community is great, and it has a great culture,” Cubrich said. “I’m definitely going to miss the coaches here at Westside, my teammates, and all the bonds that I made during my time at Westside.”

Ty Keifer- Football

Keifer is headed to Wayne State College, where he will play defensive back. Keifer came up with one of the biggest plays of the season, when he intercepted a Millard South pass in the end zone to seal Westside’s overtime win against the Patriots. Keifer finished with three interceptions in Westside’s state championship season.  Keifer had 48 solo tackles, three tackles for losses and eight pass breakups.

“I chose Wayne State because I really liked all the coaches and the players that I got to meet while I was up there. It seemed like a place that I could really fit in at,” Keifer said. “The thing that I’ll really miss about Westside is most of all my coaches and teammates that I’ve been able to meet along the way that I’m very thankful for.”

Wesley Okafor- Football

Okafor will attend Iowa Western Community College in Council Bluffs. Okafor was a wide receiver and defensive back on Westside’s State CGuzmanhampionship team. Okafor had one interception in the state championship season. Okafor was also a standout on the track, where he set the school record in the 200-meters with a time of 21.72.

“I picked Iowa Western really for the development, they trust me and I trust them,” Okafor said. “What I’m going to miss about Westside is the fact that I’ve been in this district ever since elementary school, so it’s all I’ve ever known.”

Kaden Guzman- Swimming

Guzman will attend Arizona State, after an outstanding career in the pool. Last December he finished seventh in the breaststroke at the USA Junior National Swimming West Championships in Austin with a time of 54.32. Guzman ranks third on the Omaha World-Herald all-time charts. This season Guzman is currently ranked fifth in the state in 100 breaststroke with a time of 56.88. Guzman is also ranked seventh in the state in the 100 butterfly with a time of 51.71. Guzman swam a leg on the school record 200 medley and 200 freestyle relay teams.

“The reason I picked Arizona State is because they have some high caliber coaches that will help me through my career. The team camaraderie down there is awesome as well,” Guzman said. “The thing that I’m going to miss most about Westside is coach Andy Rider, because he’s one of the best, also my teammates and other coaches”. 

Kaden Simpson- Soccer

Simpson will play soccer at Bellevue University, after a brillant state runner-up finish in 2022. Simpson helped the Warriors to a District title and a record of 15-5.

“I chose Bellevue because they have really good coaches, and a really good level of play so I can see myself developing there,” Simpson said. “Some things I’ll miss about Westside is honestly the soccer practices, it is really fun to be around the guys.”

Anthony Feldman- Soccer

Feldman will play soccer at Iowa Western Community College, after an impressive season in 2022. Feldman helped the Warriors win a District title and a state runner-up finish with a 15-5 record.

“The coaches at Iowa Western talked to me first, and really gave me an opportunity to play there,” Feldman said. “The thing that I’m going to miss most about Westside is probably my friends, teammates, and my coaches”.

Zac Tonniges- Soccer

Tonniges will play soccer at Hastings College, after an impressive state runner-up finish in 2022. Tonniges helped the Warriors to a District title and a record of 15-5. Tonniges had two goals and one assist in his junior season. 

“ I chose Hastings because I thought their academic level is really good and also when I was down there I really loved the atmosphere,” Tonniges said. “I’ll really miss playing as a Warrior, and the atmosphere here at Westside.”

Jenna Brown- Soccer

Brown will play soccer at the College of St. Mary’s in Omaha. Brown was part of Westside’s soccer team that won the District championship and finished with a 12-6 record at the state tournament.

“I chose the College of St. Marys because I really loved the coach there, really loved the team, and the campus,” Brown said. “I’ll miss Westside because we have such a great culture here, and I’ll miss playing with all my best friends.”

Marty Mormino-Football

Mormino will play college football at the University of Nebraska-Kearney. The Westside punter was named to the All-Metro Conference third team, after helping Westside to the State Championship. Mormino ranked among the state’s top punters with a 40.5 yards average.

“I picked Kearney because it felt like home as soon as I got there, I loved the coaching staff and everybody there was super welcoming. It’s also close to home so my family can come watch games,” Mormino said. I’ll miss all my coaches and teammates that have helped along the way, some of my best memories are from Westside football.”