Westside’s Cubrich is ready for National Signing Day

January 31, 2023

National Signing Day is once again on the horizon for many senior athletes across the country. For high school students, who want to continue playing sports at the next level, this is one of the most important and vital moments of their teenage life. This is no different for Westside football captain Curt Cubrich. After winning the 2022 State Championship, the senior’s hopes are high that he will be able to continue to play at the next level.

Cubrich announced on Thursday, Jan. 26, that he accepted an offer to play linebacker as a preferred walk-on at Wayne State College. He has high hopes that with the help of his coaches and other mentors he will be able to continue to play football for years to come. 

“It started off kind of slow. Just trying to find people who are interested, “ Cubrich said.” I’m a little bit undersized, so it was definitely slow at first, but it picked up and Coach Limongi was a big help to me, just finding me a place where I really fit in and feel comfortable.”

Cubrich earned first-team All-State honors at linebacker. He was the leading tackler on the Warrior defense with 58 solo stops and 94 total tackles. Cubrich also had two sacks and one interception. Cubrich made an impact on offense as a fullback. He rushed for 540 yards and scored nine touchdowns.

On top of his hopes to actually play college ball, he also hopes to continue to increase his skill level. As time progresses Cubrich thinks that the next level of football will give him a chance to grow his skill level as a linebacker. 

“Yes, I plan to play college football and I kind of hope that I just keep improving myself and improving my game and my maximum potential as a football player,” Cubrich said. “ One of the things that our coaches have always preached is discipline and I think me practicing discipline will take me far. They always told us if we wanted to continue playing after high school we had to want it and we had to know what it takes.” 

As sports progresses and technology improves athletes need to be doing everything they can to stay ahead of the curve. One of those things is getting in at the ground level. Curt’s history with football has gone back a long way. He has been playing football since he was just a young boy. 

“First, I started like my brother. He used to play football and he was always messing around with me,” Cubrich said. “In the backyard playing football and so kind of started my inspiration and then playing junior wars football. My friends also just kept going into my love for the game.”

Something else that is equally important in keeping up in the competitive nature that is high school football is your work ethic. Not only that but also having trusted mentors in your corner to help your ethics and help you improve as a person and as a player. 

“Definitely starting with my parents. Just allowing me to do what I can do,” Cubrich said. “And then my coaches taught me how to play and improve my game and what things I need to do to reach my maximum potential. ”

Cubrich and several of his teammates will be recognized at a National Signing Day ceremony in Westside’s main gym at 7:30 a.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 1.