Westside’s Guzman headed to Arizona State

January 17, 2023

Westside’s Kaden Guzman has had an impressive swimming career. He made a big splash in the recreational league, then excelled at the club level and is now a Division One recruit to Arizona State. 

Guzman started his career as a swimmer in a summer recreational league at Rockbrook pool. After winning some events he noticed he had some talent.

“I had a couple of people that were friends of mine. We were doing rec league, and they kind of threw me into the rec league swimming,” Guzman said. 

The Westside senior did not stop there however, he continued to progress and grow his skills as an athlete. Guzman quickly became one of the highest ranked swimmers in the state. 

“A couple of family friends. We’re just like, you know, he’s actually pretty good,” Guzman said. “ I went to the club and it just sparked from there.”

After his club days he joined Westside’s varsity swim team and made his mark. 

Throughout his time at Westside he found a stroke, where he hoped to win a gold medal. During the 2021-22 State Championship he swam the 100-meter breaststroke and finished in a time of :57 seconds. At the beginning of this season he exclaimed that he would like to get gold and break a school record. 

“I would love to get the gold medal in the 100 breaststroke,” Guzman said. “I think I can do it and also beat the school record.”

Kaden also found success in other events, he swam the 100 freestyle in :49 seconds, which is his best time for the stroke and for the distance. 

Guzman is committed to Arizona State, where he will swim for the Sun Devils. He has a few goals in mind for the next four years, while he swims at the collegiate level.

“First off, my main goal is just making the NCAA. That’s the first goal I would like to obtain,” Guzman said. 

After obtaining his first goal he would like to work towards getting school and pool records while working with his new coaches at Arizona State. Guzman will swim under legendary coach Bob Bowman, who is best known as the coach of 23-time Olympic gold medalist Michael Phelps.

“Down the road I will hopefully get some school records,” Guzman said.

“It is something I would love to work hard and work towards and then obviously, with the help of coach Bowman and the coaches down there.”

Later in his college career he hopes to swim for Team USA in the Olympics. 

“Going into the Olympics would be the highest goal I have,” Guzman said. 

Kaden will end his high school career next month with the State Swimming Championships in Lincoln, where he hopes to bring home gold.