Jaylen Lloyd commits to Nebraska

December 17, 2022

Courtesy of Jaylen Lloyd

Lloyd on his official visit to Nebraska

Jaylen Lloyd never got the opportunity to play in Memorial Stadium for the Class A State Championship, due to an injury. But the Westside wide receiver and defensive back will get to play in the sea of red for the next four years. Lloyd announced his decision to become a Nebraska Cornhusker in a news conference at the Boys and Girls Club on Saturday, Dec 17.

“I’ve lived here my whole life, and it just feels like home,” Lloyd said. “Just being able to play football, and also run track is huge for me.”

Lloyd’s decision is another major commitment for Nebraska’s new head coach Matt Rhule. Nebraska won a recruiting battle for the three-star recruit between Florida, Georgia, Illinois and Texas Tech.  

Lloyd had scheduled a news conference for November 26th, but postponed his decision with the hiring of Rhule at Nebraska. He made an official visit to the Lincoln campus on Saturday, Dec 10. From that moment on, Lloyd knew he wanted to be a Husker.

“All the coaches were great, they’re all super easy to talk to, they’re fun, I can relate to them in so many different ways. On my official visit they all brought their families to meet ours, which was awesome,” Lloyd said.

Lloyd had something to prove this past football season, as he transferred from Omaha Central. He was a key player in Westside’s run to the State Championship. He had 44 receptions for 784 yards and five touchdowns. Lloyd was named to the Omaha World-Herald All-State first team, after averaging 17.8 yards per reception.

“I think this season showed that I can do more than just run by somebody, I can run routes all over the route tree, I can play a little bit of defense. It just opened up my game a little more,” Lloyd said. 

Lloyd was a decorated track and field athlete at Omaha Central. He was named the 2022 Gatorade Athlete of the Year, after he took home three gold medals at the State Track and Field Championships at Burke Stadium. Lloyd earned the title as the fastest athlete in Nebraska with a gold medal in the 100 meters, with a time of 10.43 seconds. Lloyd also won the gold medal in the long jump with a leap of 24-feet and six-inches. He earned his final gold medal in the triple jump at 50-feet and 3.5-inches. Lloyd plans to compete in track and field at Nebraska.

Lloyd has high hopes and expectations for the upcoming track and field season. He is looking to break not just state records, but national records. Lloyd wants to help bring a state title back to Westside.

“I have some pretty big goals for this season, I want to break the national long jump record, and the national triple jump record,” Lloyd said. “I also want to be able to help bring a state championship back to Westside.”

Westside head coach Paul Limongi knows Lloyd is a special player and has a bright future.

“Jaylen has helped the team with his work ethic and his big play capabilities,” Limongi said.“I believe Jaylen can be successful anywhere he chooses to be.” 

Jaylen Lloyd isn’t the first person to run track at the University of Nebraska in his family. Lloyd’s mother was an All-American track star for the Huskers from 1998-2000.

“My mom went to Nebraska and ran track there, so it’s a crazy feeling to be like a legacy going there,” Lloyd said.

Lloyd joins his teammate Tristan Alvano in Nebraska’s 2023 recruiting class. The All-State kicker announced his commitment to Nebraska on Friday. 

Lloyd plans to sign his Letter of Intent on National Signing day Wednesday, Dec. 21.