Tristan Alvano commits to Nebraska

December 16, 2022

Courtesy of Tristan Alvano

Tristan Alvano has committed to Nebraska.

There is no place like Nebraska for Tristan Alvano. The Westside kicker felt right at home at Memorial Stadium, where he booted a dramatic game winning 45-yard field goal as time expired to edge Gretna 43-41 for the Class A State Championship.

Alvano will return to Memorial Stadium for his college career at the University of Nebraska. He announced his decision to become a Husker on his Twitter account on Friday, Dec.16.

“I think it’s a great opportunity for me, obviously it’s a very historic program,” Alvano said. “I see myself coming in and being able to develop as a kicker, and as a man.”

Alvano is a five-star recruit and the 6th-ranked kicker in the nation by Kohl’s Professional Kicking Camps. The Westside senior had a record breaking season for the state champion Warriors. Alvano set the state record for most points in a season by a kicker with 118. He also set the state record for field goals in a season with 16 and in a career with 27. Alvano capped off his high school career with a playoff record five field goals in the state championship game. 

Alvano had a hectic fall with recruiting visits to Oklahoma, Iowa, North Dakota State and Iowa State. He received scholarship offers from Air Force, Army, Boston College and North Dakota State. The Iowa Hawkeyes made him a preferred walk-on. 

The recruiting process was not always easy for Alvano.

“The recruiting process was long, fun, and at some points a stressful journey, and the fact that I’m very happy with my decision and excited for the future is a great feeling,” Alvano said.

Alvano caught the attention of the Nebraska coaching staff, when he set a Westside school record 57-yard field goal in the opening round of the state playoffs against Papillion-LaVista. The Huskers invited Alvano to attend Nebraska’s game against Minnesota on Saturday, Nov. 5. 

After Alvano kicked a playoff record five field goals in the state championship game, Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph offered him a scholarship. Nebraska’s new special teams coach Ed Foley took over the recruitment of Alvano and invited him for an official visit from Dec. 9 – 11.

Alvano’s recruitment is a huge success for Nebraska’s new head coach Matt Rhule. 

“I’ve built a great relationship with special teams coach Ed Foley, head coach Matt Rhule and the entire staff at Nebraska,” Alvano said. “I had a lot of great opportunities to visit great programs, but I think Nebraska is the best fit for me.”

The dedication for kicking footballs has not been in Alvano’s blood forever. He started playing football for the first time his freshman year of high school. Alvano has always had a passion for soccer, as he still plays for Westside’s varsity soccer team.

“At this time last year I still wanted to play college soccer, but I fell in love with kicking and dedicated my whole off-season towards it.” 

Nebraska’s rich football tradition has made Alvano a fan of the Husker’s since his childhood. 

“I grew up watching Nebraska football, and going to games as a little kid, my grandpa has had season tickets my whole life,” Alvano said. “So just the fact that I’m able to have this opportunity and go to my home state school is surreal, it’s hard to put into words.”

Alvano is planning to sign his Letter of Intent on National Signing Day on Wednesday, Dec. 21.