Basketball court dedicated to former superintendent Dr. Jim Tangdall

December 15, 2022

Ross Jernstrom

Tangdall’s son Steve Tangdall, daughter Laurie Tangdall Kemp, Dr. Mike Lucas, daugther Kris Tangdall Greenwald, and granddaughter Grace Greenwald are recognized at the naming.

Westside High School has formally dedicated the floor of the main gym to Dr. Jim Tangdall, longtime District 66 educator, coach and superintendent. Tangdall spent 36 years in District 66 doing many incredible things for the Westside district. The court was named in honor and respect for all the things Tangdall did for the Westside community. 

“The name Jim Tangdall is synonymous with dedication to children and the success of public education,” said Dr. Mike Lucas, Superintendent of Westside Community schools. “His impact is felt everywhere throughout our district and now every visitor who comes to our school will see his name and learn about the incredible things he did for District 66 and our community.”

Tangdall died in 2019, leaving a legacy no one will forget. He worked many different jobs in the Westside district. He was a math teacher, basketball coach, principal and retired as Superintendent. Tangdall started his long career in the Westside District in 1956 and retired in 1992. He made many notable changes like implementing modular scheduling to Westside High School, which is just one of ten schools in the country to continue the system. 

“It’s very humbling, he meant a lot to this district. The district meant everything to him,” said Steve Tangdall, son of Dr. Tangdall. “Not only to my father, but my mother. She was a very special lady who was 100 percent behind everything he did.”

Tangdall was always doing the best he could to better and help Westside Community Schools. He spent countless hours not just in Westside High School, but other Westside Community schools as well. The Westside district always held a special place in Tangdall’s heart. 

“When I was 6, 7, 8, 9 years old, I’d come up here on Saturday and Sunday mornings with him while he was preparing for class or coaching,” said Steve. “We had the run of this place. It was like a second home.”

Over his 36-year career in education Tangdall developed many strong relationships with people. Those relationships extended across the district and the world of education. Those relationships Tangdall made, benefited not just him and his family but the whole community and district. 

“The people and relationships that we’ve made from his experience in his life have just been tremendous,” said Steve.

Tangdall passed away in 2019 and left a lifelong legacy for Westside High School and District 66 to remember. His legacy will be remembered for generations to come through all the great changes and things Tangdall did for the district. Westside High School will continue his legacy by welcoming the main gym court Jim Tangdall Court .