Westside’s Zoey Barber wins gold medal at Council Bluffs Classic

December 13, 2022

Sophomore Zoey Barber took home first place at 135 pounds

The Westside girls wrestling team returned to competition at the Council Bluffs Classic on Saturday, Dec. 10,  where they finished with five medalists. Sophomore Zoey Barber took home first place at 135 pounds.

Barber spoke about her experience at the tournament and what it felt like taking home the gold medal.

“My performance was amazing,” Barber said. “I hit everything I wanted to hit, I did everything my coaches told me and I was so happy about it since I placed third last year and won it this year.”

Westside head coach Bob Mulligan spoke about Barber’s performance in the tournament.

Her performance at the Classic was just a carryover from week one,” Mulligan said.  “She didn’t have the high profile athletes she did week one, but she took care of business nonetheless, going 6-0 with six first period pins.

Barber also spoke about the team’s overall performance in the tournament.

The team’s performance was amazing, my sister [Macy] was in the finals and Piper placing was amazing too,” Barber said. “I’m just happy we got ninth for team placement.

Speaking about the team’s performance, Mulligan also expressed how proud he was of the Westside’s success at the tournament.

As a team I am extremely proud of how we performed the first two weeks,” Mulligan said. “Outside of districts and state these are our two toughest tournaments of the year and we absolutely crushed it. Once we get our full team down to weight and back from injury the sky is truly the limit. The Westside girls team will return to action on Friday, Dec. 16 at the Wahoo Invitational.