College recruiters focus on Westside football players

December 12, 2022

Westside quarterback Anthony Rezac led a miraculous drive to give the Warriors a storybook ending win in the Class A State Championship game. Kicker Tristan Alvano hit a 45-yard field goal as time expired to edge Gretna 43-41.  Westside’s win marked the second state championship in the last three seasons. This title game put many college recruiters on notice of several Warrior players.

Teddy Rezac (Wide Receiver / Linebacker) Junior:

Rezac recorded 47 total tackles, with four of those being for loss. Rezac had two interceptions. On the other side of the ball, he picked up 32 receptions for 414 yards with four touchdowns. Rezac is in communication with North Dakota State to potentially join former Westside quarterback Cole Payton. 

“I’ve talked to NDSU the most, but since the season has been wrapping up, more coaches have been coming into school to talk to us,” Rezac said. “I got a chance to talk to Iowa and Stanford this past week.”

Christian Jones (Wide receiver / Linebacker) Sophomore:

The sophomore racked up 41 tackles, 19 assists, two forced fumbles, and two recoveries. On the flip side, Jones had 6 catches for 43 yards and a TD. Jones is ranked as the 23rd overall prospect in the 2025 class nationally (by 247 Sports). He has held offers from Nebraska, Iowa State, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Kansas for a while.

Anthony Rezac (Quarterback) Junior:

It was a season to remember for the starting quarterback, as Rezac passed for 2,300 yards and 19 touchdowns. On the ground, Rezac rushed for 1,100 yards and 19 touchdowns. Rezac earned second-team All-State honors from the Omaha World-Herald. Rezac holds no offers yet, but has a considerable amount of interest from Nebraska, Minnesota, Austin Peay, Iowa, and Iowa State. The junior took a visit to Ames in September. 

Jaylen Lloyd (Wide Receiver) Senior:

Lloyd caught 44 balls for 784 yards this campaign, with five touchdowns. Lloyd was set to commit a few weeks ago, but canceled it due to illness. Lloyd holds track only offers from Florida, Georgia, and Illinois. But the senior speedster also holds a dual offer in football and track for schools like Texas Tech, North Dakota, and Nebraska. Lloyd was named to the Omaha World-Herald All-State first team. Lloyd will announce his decision on Saturday, Dec. 17th at 1:00 p.m. at the Boys and Girls Club. (2610 Hamilton St).

Caleb Benning (Wide Receiver / Defensive Back) Junior:

Benning went wild in the state championship game, after missing several weeks due to a broken collarbone. Benning set a new Westside record with 14 receptions  for 103 yards in the championship game. He also had two interceptions on the other side of the ball. Caleb holds eight or more offers from the following schools: Iowa, Duke, Kansas, Iowa State, Wisconsin, Vanderbilt, Minnesota, and Nebraska. He also has heavy interest from Stanford. Benning was named to the Omaha World-Herald All-State first team for the second time. Benning hasn’t received much new recruiting news of late due to the coaching carousel going on now.

“Recruiting hasn’t been too crazy,” Benning said. “That’s mainly because of the coaching changes, so I’m not too worried. My state performance definitely got coaches that I already had a relationship with more interested like Stanford and Iowa. Duke offered after the game. I don’t worry about recruiting and all that too much, because I know it will all take care of itself when it comes down to my decision.” 

Tristan Alvano (Kicker) Senior:

Alvano had a record breaking season, claiming a spot as one of the best kickers in the entire country. He became an internet sensation after knocking down the game winning 45-yard field goal to beat Gretna. Alvano connected on 27 field goals in his Westside career, with three beyond 50 yards. He set the school record with a 57-yard field goal. Alvano has had 141 touchbacks and is 119/122 in his time wearing black and red. Alvano received a full ride offer from Nebraska shortly after the state championship game, while also holding offers from Air Force, Army, and North Dakota State. Iowa made him a preferred walk-on. For the second year in a row Alvano earned first team All-State honors from the Omaha World-Herald. 

There are several other Warriors, who have received college offers. All-State linebacker Curt Cubrich, Marty Mormino, Jeremiah Truitt, Samuel Norquist, Adrian Jones, and Payton McDonald are among the seniors expected to play at the next level.

National Signing Day is on Wednesday, Dec. 21. There will also be another National Signing Day on Wednesday, Feb. 1.