Westside boys wrestling ready to hit the mat

November 29, 2022

Senior+Sam+Johnson+begins+a+match+against+Omaha+North+last+year.++This+year+he+will+wrestle+at+138+lbs.+

Zoe Gillespie

Senior Sam Johnson begins a match against Omaha North last year. This year he will wrestle at 138 lbs.

Last year the Westside boys wrestling team finished in sixth place at the State Wrestling Championships. It was the highest finish by a Westside wrestling team since 1986. The Warriors had nine wrestlers qualify for state, and five of them won medals. Westside returns six wrestlers, who competed in the state championships. 

Westside head coach Michael Jernigan is ready to go, and has high expectations for his team. 

“Going in, it’s always a mystery,” Jernigan said. “We expect a lot out of this team in the few years we’ve been in the top ten. We’re loaded with seniors this year, and some good hidden talent. We’ll be us, we’ll be ready to go, and when it’s time to be our best we’ll be our best.”

Michael Myers is a returning state finalist who is looking for revenge this season at 160 lbs.

“I’d say my expectations fell short last year in the state championship so obviously work hard and get back to the state championship,” Myers said. “Putting in more effort than last year even if I thought that was a lot of work.”

Returning state medalist Logan Edwards has big goals at 120lbs. The senior has been putting the work in to achieve what he wants.

“Last year I fell way short of my goal,” Edwards said. “It was something I needed, and this is the last year to give max effort. I’ve been grinding a lot with lifting, and at MWC, and I plan on getting a state championship.”

The culture is like a family on the wrestling team with knowing everyone and having the right coaches. 

“My assistant coaches are so amazing,” Jernigan said. “Reed Weber, Matt Reinke, Darlando Hill, Bob Mulligan, Mike Schroeder, these guys are amazing. We know each other, we know the culture and what to do. It’s a great tight family with us all at Westside.”

The wrestling team has their first meet on Saturday, Dec. 3 at York.