Westside boys swimming starts new coaching era

November 28, 2022

Westside66 Twitter

Andy Rider coaches on his swimmers at the Metro tournament

The Westside boys swimming team has very high expectations for this season.

Westside is led by Andy Rider, who is in his first season as head coach after being promoted from assistant. Rider replaces hall of fame coach Doug Krecklow, who spent 43 years at Westside and won 20 state championships. With a good background and sense of the culture many are not worried about the changes that are going to be made in the swimming program. 

Senior Kaden Guzman believes having Rider as head coach will be a good addition for the Warriors.

“Coach Andy has been around for a while. Having him as a new coach I think is going to be good,” Guzman said. “He brings some new expertise to the team.”

Senior Nate Germonprez returns after setting a state record in the 200 yard freestyle. Germonprez thinks Rider’s experience will have a positive impact on the swimming program. 

“Dynamics will be different, but from personal experience I think change is good,” “Germonprez said. “I think our team will stay strong and improve on any downfalls that we’ve had in years prior,”

Westside boys swimming is a very historic program. The Warriors have won 23 team state championships, with the last title coming home in 2006. All of the school records have been broken in the past four years. Germonprez has set eight individual records and three relay records.  Coach Rider has high hopes to continue to build a legacy at Westside.

“I hope to continue to build on the history and continue the success,” Rider said.

Having top swimmers in the state is something that many coaches strive to have. Germonprez is committed to the University of Texas and Guzman is committed to swim at Arizona State University.  Coach Rider is happy with how both seniors are helping out the underclassmen in the pool. 

“The kids drive for success by just being in the water,” Rider said. “Nate and Kaden are great teachers. They want the kids to be successful.”

Westside has seven state qualifiers returning and a new head coach, so team bonding will be very important to the Warriors.. 

“The team morale over the first couple of days leading into the season has been great,” Rider said. “They seem to be really bonding well.”

Germonprez is a member of the United States Junior National Swimming team and will compete with his teammates during the month of December. Germonprez will return to Westside in January for his final season of high school swimming.  He plans to stay on track and continue what he has done. 

“This season I would like to continue on the path I’ve been on for the past few years,” Germonprez said. “I want to keep working on my technique which has been a big part of this season so far.”

Guzman got second place in the 100-yard breaststroke at the state meet in 2022 with a time of 56 seconds and is ready for his final high school season to begin. Guzman exclaimed that coach Rider is going to be more strict this season during his first season as head coach.

“He might be a little bit stricter but he has a great plan for us this year,” Guzman said. 

With some slight changes in the program Rider hopes to have a great season. 

“There will definitely be some little changes here and there, and we are going to make it our own,” Rider said. 

The Warriors will start their season out at the Burke Invitational between Thursday, Dec. 1 and Saturday, Dec. 3.